43: Extermination

Some challenges are hard :). Here we can discuss their solutions. Please find the thread for the appropriate challenge or create it if it doesn't exist.
peorthyr

43: Extermination

Post by peorthyr » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:59 am

I'm trying to figure out this challenge.
I'd like not to spoil anything so if you like to make it yourself, just leave this thread now ;)
also, i'd like to discuss the strategy, not a full walkthrough.

actually I've try to divide the challenge into 2 phases, phase 1 eat those little tadpoles, then, selfdestruct.

I'm stuck in phase 1 of course, I've make a tadpole very similar to the one infesting the lab, but with little differences in color and I've targeted the infesing color into my sensocyte, so the larva will transorm into a devorocyte only if a infesting tadpole come close, but stay as a larva if one of mine arrive.

this is really slooooooow. the split ratio is kind the same and inserting 1 cell produce a population of 5 tadpoles in 2-3 minute of incubation... this is not the way.
have you done something different? I've think about having a totally different cell, with a color that activate most bombs at once, to make that place an hell, but nothing, this isn't a way too :D
Sakaaaaa

Re: 43: Extermination

Post by Sakaaaaa » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:28 am

Just copy the genome of the initial cells, remove the ability to reproduce without devorocytes, and change the senseocyte to detect red only. Change the colors, too.
"Only two things are infinite: the universe and photocytes on a sunlit substrate. I'm actually not sure about the universe!"
-Avert Eyntsein
peorthyr

Post by peorthyr » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:53 am

I feel dumb :oops:
:lol: :lol:
bwisialo

Post by bwisialo » Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:02 pm

Sakaaaaa wrote:Just copy the genome of the initial cells, remove the ability to reproduce without devorocytes, and change the senseocyte to detect red only. Change the colors, too.
That's even easier than what the intended solution had been -- just enhancing the swimmer a bit. But that's good -- it's supposed to be a relatively easy exercise in using Stemocytes.
amor fati
Twinfreaks

Post by Twinfreaks » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:36 pm

Removing the initial cells is the easy part.
Copy.
Change color.
Change sensor settings.

Now leaving the dish clean is the hard part.
CandyYAHFT

Post by CandyYAHFT » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:17 am

That challenge was so easy, I kinda just copied the genome and played with the split masses a bit. :lol:
PEACE & LOVE,
CANDY
CandyYAHFT

Post by CandyYAHFT » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:18 am

I guess that's not what you would call an strategy thou :roll:
wapcaplet

Post by wapcaplet » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:56 pm

My solution to this didn't even use stemocytes or senseocytes; it's just a slightly more efficient swimmer that reproduces from a devorocyte, with a different color so it doesn't trigger the mines. After killing the existing cells, it takes a while for it to die off, but whatever works, hey?
bwisialo

Post by bwisialo » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:19 pm

I didn't to try Devorocytes with no Stemocytes. :) Yeah, the intended solution with Stemocytes is meant to be easy and to be a simple example of how Stemocytes can be used and how they work. CANDY's method is basically what's in the walkthrough for the challenge. The easiest way is probably just a decent swimmer that uses a Senseocyte smart egg. Dying off with Devorocytes sounds more difficult than that. ;)
amor fati
wapcaplet

Post by wapcaplet » Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:47 pm

If I recall, I tried the intended solution first but had difficulty getting the stemocyte to trigger often enough, so I figured why not just kill everything with the greatest possible efficiency? In other words, skip the whole stemocyte business and just devour? Revisiting it now, the intended solution (copy/tweak the original to turn it against them) is definitely easier and leads to a more reliable success.