47:Desert

Here we remember old challenge discussions that got purged in the great forum cleanup of 2018.
Sakaaaaa

47:Desert

Post by Sakaaaaa » Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:14 pm

What's the optimal signal output by stereocyte and reaction by myocyte? And how do I move all those cells? 2 myocytes? Any other tips welcome. Loopholes greatly appreciated :D
"Only two things are infinite: the universe and photocytes on a sunlit substrate. I'm actually not sure about the universe!"
-Avert Eyntsein
Alast

Re: 47:Desert

Post by Alast » Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:37 pm

1 Myocyte is enough ;) You need to figure out what you need in the front and what in the back of it. Different setups are possible. All cells should be attached to the Myocyte in order to lift them all when needed.
Perfection hasnt reached me yet, but its trying hard!
Sakaaaaa

Post by Sakaaaaa » Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:49 pm

Ok thanks that's a useful tip but what about food finding? Swimmers are easy but crawlers are hard :?
"Only two things are infinite: the universe and photocytes on a sunlit substrate. I'm actually not sure about the universe!"
-Avert Eyntsein
Alast

Post by Alast » Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:54 pm

That's the point ;) Make a Smart Crawler :)
bwisialo

Post by bwisialo » Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:01 am

Sakaaaaa wrote:What's the optimal signal output by stereocyte and reaction by myocyte?
In beta testing it seemed that low values for Output and high values for Bending worked best. High Output seemed to produce signal / information overload.

Smart crawlers aren't as mobile and agile as smart swimmers. When multiple food chunks are nearby, smart crawlers aren't as good at quickly going to one chunk in one direction and then quickly turning to get another chunk in a different direction. My impression is that high Output tends to make their movement "indecisive" or go back and forth when multiple chunks are nearby. Lower Output helps allow smart crawlers to go toward one chunk and temporarily ignore others, so to speak.
amor fati
Sakaaaaa

Post by Sakaaaaa » Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:49 am

Bwisialo is back!!~~~~~
-Avert Eyntsein
Dakroth

Post by Dakroth » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:38 am

So my setup is, back to front, Stereo-Myo-Neuro/Phago, with the front to perpendicular to the back two and the stereocyte at a slight angle to compensate for how much the myocyte twists it when bending. It all works fine, save for the reproduction stage. Either I get a successful split, but with the offspring either incomplete or too small, or the child cells burst the parent phagocyte as they rapidly differentiate into the complete organism... I can't seem to find a solution to that. No way to get the child farther away from the parent before splitting. Ideas?
Alast

Post by Alast » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:51 am

That might be a matter of orientation of the child. If it's oriented in the same direction as the parent or in the exact opposite direction, do you still get bursting cells?
Dakroth

Post by Dakroth » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:32 pm

Actually, I've solved the bursting cell issue. I had the child cell facing at a 90-degree angle from the parent, which made it expand into the parent. I just rotated the initial child cell another 90-degrees so that it was facing backwards.

Now my only issue is maintaining and positioning nutrients between the cells. The phago at the head is set to just below the no-split level with a 40-60 ratio, but it keeps spitting out daughter cells with too low mass. Occasionally the daughter cell will hit a food particle and finish splitting, but that's uncommon and they are still rather small. So far, experimenting with nutrient priority on the other cells has resulted in those cells dying too quickly, as well.

In addition, I have tried reversing the direction of motion, so the stereo is at the front, as well as switching the Neuro and stereo, with a reversed movement variation of that, too. So far the Neuro-myo-stereo/phago has been the most successful once I adjusted the signal levels and reaction strengths, but all have suffered from being unable to keep nutrient levels at high enough levels got long enough.
Catisfluffy

Post by Catisfluffy » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:00 am

More complex organisms usually keep the seed cell attached to allow it to have more mass. Watch some of bwisialo's tutorials for the later levels for examples.