44: Discrimination

Some challenges are hard :). Here we can discuss their solutions. Please find the thread for the appropriate challenge or create it if it doesn't exist.
aneson

44: Discrimination

Post by aneson » Sat May 06, 2017 12:38 am

I don't believe there's a topic on this challenge yet, so here's one.

Perhaps the simplest solution to this is just placing 25 red sensing predators that can't reproduce.
ruffo

Re: 44: Discrimination

Post by ruffo » Sat May 06, 2017 1:52 am

Smart predators didn't work for me, the little red buggers are too fast.
I leveraged the notion that they need some prey to hit their devorocytes to reproduce, so I reduced mobility with a filament organism. Needed a bit of luck but it worked on the third try...
aneson

Post by aneson » Sat May 06, 2017 4:23 am

You do need to increase the flagelocyte swim speed considerably for smart predators to work. Adjusting nutrient priorities also helps prevent the flagelocytes from working themselves to death. This approach works pretty consistently with good placement... and the predators always die off due to the cell life cap.

Though your solution sounds very interesting! How exactly did you make an organism that slows down the red cells? All of my attempts using glueocytes either couldn't reproduce or also killed the blue cells....
ruffo

Post by ruffo » Sat May 06, 2017 9:46 am

I made a daisy chain of devorocytes and keratinocytes.
The keratinocytes don't split; the devorocytes only split a finite number of times (I used several modes, and the last one doesn't split) into devorocytes and keratinocytes.
They're not selective per se, but the red organisms are really aggravated by them, heheh.

EDIT: a string, not a daisy chain, sorry :) it's not a ring
aneson

Post by aneson » Sat May 06, 2017 5:42 pm

I bet the intended solution involves stemoctyes differentiating into devorocytes, but that's just too much hassle. Better make a dumb worm and wait till the reds get annoyed. ;)
CandyYAHFT

Post by CandyYAHFT » Sat May 06, 2017 6:07 pm

Copy the minelayers and examine the genome so you can make something similar.

Once the initial red cells die, the stemocytes won't be able to differentiate into devorocytes, which should be the egg.

Once red cells die the solution's species becomes sterile, thus completing the challenge.
PEACE & LOVE,
CANDY
Reaper Elite
Location: In the Underworld eating bacon and watching anime with Marilyn Monroe

Post by Reaper Elite » Sat May 06, 2017 6:50 pm

You want the genome?
"A mercenary can always find a war to fight if they look hard enough"
"You become a changed person when you face me and deny me your soul."
ruffo

Post by ruffo » Sat May 06, 2017 8:29 pm

CandyYAHFT wrote:Copy the minelayers and examine the genome so you can make something similar.

Once the initial red cells die, the stemocytes won't be able to differentiate into devorocytes, which should be the egg.

Once red cells die the solution's species becomes sterile, thus completing the challenge.
That's 43: Extermination.
...which I solved by making a swimmer with a programmed flagellocyte (stops when the sensocyte sees white), and an egg that triggered the mines. After all the minelayers were dead, I dropped 4 white sensocytes and paralyzed my species to death :P
...although what you said seems much more orthodox...
bwisialo

Post by bwisialo » Sun May 07, 2017 5:49 am

The intended solution got a little mixed up in beta testing. One initial solution was a red-hunting predator that uses Stemocyte eggs to stop reproducing when red is not detected. This version should have allowed only a maximum of 5 or so inserted cells. Another solution was infertile predators, as aneson suggested, anf the number of inserted cells would again be low.

However, these were not the intended solution, because this can basically be a replication of solutions to Predator. My understaning is that, to differentiate this challenge and rule out those solutions, Flagellocytes should have been made unavailable, but they were not. The intended solution was more along the lines of lind-mines alone, with a very high number of inserted cells allowed. With that number allowed, the infertile predator is a fairly simple solution.

I don’t think the speed of the swimmers by itself should make this particularly difficult for a predator, which can mostly just wait for the red swimmers to come to it. The speed of the swimmers together with some of the substrate settings does result in a high number of cell ruptures, which can be a bit of a hurdle to overcome.

ruffo's solution is interesting. It does not use Senseocytes or Stereocytes, is that correct? Can you send me your solution via PM?
amor fati
ruffo

Post by ruffo » Sun May 07, 2017 10:21 am

bwisialo wrote:ruffo's solution is interesting. It does not use Senseocytes or Stereocytes, is that correct? Can you send me your solution via PM?
Correct! I've sent you the genome via PM.