Solving Macrophages IV with evolution

Here we remember old challenge discussions that got purged in the great forum cleanup of 2018.
L4Vo5

Solving Macrophages IV with evolution

Post by L4Vo5 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:49 pm

For some reason, I've been unable to solve this challenge with evolution.
I imported the substrate, put simple swimmers, let it run for a night with around .010 radiation, and woke up over 200 000 simulation hors later, but the average cell count was still the same.
I tried it again the next night, but with .060 radiation, and it was the same story.
Am I doing something wrong? Is too low radiation somehow extremely unefficient?
I even ran it without "only point mutations" both times, but the organisms were the exact same next day.

And no, the "average cell count" I mentioned wasn't 0 :v it was just below 200
wapcaplet

Re: Solving Macrophages IV with evolution

Post by wapcaplet » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:43 pm

I've had the same problem on this challenge. Even a very optimized swimmer may not be able to sustain 300 cells.

Part of the trick is to get a lucky burst right at the beginning of the challenge. Since it allows you to place 30 cells, try to spread them all across the substrate, on top of or near piles of food, then start them all at once and hope they break the 300-cell goal. They may settle down to under 200 after that, but you only need to hit 300 once.
L4Vo5

Re: Solving Macrophages IV with evolution

Post by L4Vo5 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:07 am

Thank you, that worked!
It's weird that the game would advice you to use evolution, if it's impossible that way...
Sadly, it's hard to optimize initial booms as well, so you have to trust not only that you get lucky with the food spawn, but that the organism you have is fit enough for a boom xP