Harsh Conditions

Some challenges are hard :). Here we can discuss their solutions. Please find the thread for the appropriate challenge or create it if it doesn't exist.
Nayus

Harsh Conditions

Post by Nayus » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:07 pm

Harsh Conditions

Difficulty: Undergrad

Progress: Unlocks gene Virocyte and further challenges

Description: In this sample there are no nitrates in the substrate. Though a new cell which can bind nitrogen, the Nitrocyte, is now available. This cell can supply connected cells with nitrates. Any cell can store a rather large amount of nitrates so they need not be connected to this cell. Cells do not consume the nitrates, though they are shared between the daughter cells when a cell divides. If a cell does not have enough nitrates to divide into two cells, it simply will not divide.
Can you make an organism able to multiply into 200 cells in this environment?

Win Conditions: 200 or more user cells with 10 or less inserted

Record Solution: ?
wapcaplet

Re: Harsh Conditions

Post by wapcaplet » Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:36 am

In this substrate, there is a tiny sliver of light at the top where photocytes can live, but they will need nitrates to reproduce. For that we will also need nitrocytes.

It is fairly easy to design a genome to win the challenge, but it is also quite easy to solve this challenge using evolution. All you need is a little more light to get an organism started; then you can evolve it to survive in the lower light of the challenge.

What I did was long-tap on "Harsh Conditions", to experiment on the substrate. Next I turned the "Light range" slider up from 0.25 to about 0.50. This gives a larger area of hospitable substrate for evolution to work in. I also turned radiation up to about 0.010. Then, I enabled only photocytes and nitrocytes, ticked "contaminate with random cells", and incubated until I could see a nitro-photo organism growing rapidly to 200 cells or more.

Next, I turned off random cell contamination, and kept evolving. When they looked strong enough, I gradually lowered the light range back to its original value of 0.25. It's important to do this slowly, to give the species time to adapt. Finally, I turned radiation off completely and incubated another minute or so, until only the strongest genome remained. By then they were able to maintain about 150 cells, sometimes more.

I have repeated this process 3 times, and each time got a winning genome in only 1,000-2,000h substrate time, which is only a few minutes here in the real world. The challenge allows you to place up to 10 cells, making it a little easier to get a strong initial burst to hit the 200-cell goal. Save the best evolved genome, load it into the challenge, and win!
Bmeupsctty

Re: Harsh Conditions

Post by Bmeupsctty » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:55 pm

Set M1 to photocyte. Set both children to M2 @ 90 degrees(points up).

Set M2 to photocyte. Check "make adhesin". Set child 1 to M3. Set child 2 to M4. Set child 2 to 90 degrees.

Set M3 to nitrocyte. Set split mass to max.

Set M4 to photocyte. Set child 1 to M1. Uncheck "keep adhesin" for child 1. Set split angle to 180 degrees.

Place a single M1 as close to the top as possible. Click observe.