Gene Therapy

Some challenges are hard :). Here we can discuss their solutions. Please find the thread for the appropriate challenge or create it if it doesn't exist.
Nayus

Gene Therapy

Post by Nayus » Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:56 pm

Gene Therapy

Difficulty: Superhuman AI

Progress: Opional Challenge

Description:
Gene therapy is a method practiced in medicine to correct a defective genome by inserting new genes. The new genes are typically inserted using a virus as a vector. A special virus is prepared that does not cause much harm but inserts a missing gene.
On this substrate we have some particularly ugly cells, specifically, mother nature did a very bad job of matching the color of the Phagocyte to the color of the Flagellocyte. We don't have access to the Flagellocyte genes but would like some more visually appealing swimmers than these. Could you do some gene therapy on these cells to obtain about the same number of swimmers but in a color scheme of your liking instead? They need to survive more than 200 h

Win Conditions: A population of 200 or more cells for 200 or more h with only 1 cell inserted

Reminder: The Virocyte insertes not only the genes for one mode are but also the genes for the modes of 2 generations of descendants. So a maximum of 1+2+4 modes of the host genome are copied to the newly infected cell
Bmeupsctty

Re: Gene Therapy

Post by Bmeupsctty » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:43 pm

This one is going over my head. How do I change the color of a cell type I don't have with a virus? I know I've done it with a gamete, but those aren't available here...

Or am I missing the point entirely on this one?

I feel like there's some piece of crucial info I'm missing that will make this challenge make sense to me
countingtls

Post by countingtls » Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:02 am

Bmeupsctty wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:43 pm
This one is going over my head. How do I change the color of a cell type I don't have with a virus? I know I've done it with a gamete, but those aren't available here...

Or am I missing the point entirely on this one?

I feel like there's some piece of crucial info I'm missing that will make this challenge make sense to me
Open the challenge in the experimental lab and load the default creature's genome. Check its mode of M16 to M40. Also remember Virocyte genome as well as its color will be inherent by the infected cell 2 split down the line (Hint all the Phagocyte type mode including M2).

The next hint is how to spread the modified creatures with a delivery mechanism and how to infect more to keep the new infected species alive.
Bmeupsctty

Post by Bmeupsctty » Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:16 am

Ok. I thought I was following when I saw the children of the final modes, but whenever I try to implement any ideas I cease to have swimmers... I'm clearly missing a fundamental function of virocytes
H4yw1r3

Post by H4yw1r3 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:23 am

M1 of Virocytes are passed down to the victim's M1 mode. They can only infect up to the second generation, meaning the third generation will keep its traits rather than being overriden by the Virocyte.

EDIT: Typo corrections.
Are complex creatures too advanced for you to understand?
Well, let me flood you with them.
Bmeupsctty

Post by Bmeupsctty » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:49 pm

The irony here is that you've told me something I knew, yet was the key I was missing. This explains why I feel stupid. Thank you.

P.s. haven't solved it yet, but now I have swimmers of a different color, so I'm on my way
countingtls

Post by countingtls » Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:42 pm

Remember that 2 generation down the line, the Virocyte will overwrite their colors and their split modes, but the 3rd generation modes split from the 2nd generation will keep their original cell types.

Say we pick one of the unused mode of M11 as the virocyte and copy from your species' M2 (initial generation), one of its split is M40 and something (1st generation), and M40 split back to M1 and M2 (2nd generation). These M1, M2, M40 replaced the original species' M1, M2, M40 colors and their split modes. Go to the original species, make M2 the initial cell, and find the 3rd generation split from M1 (M2 and M3, M2 is already rewritten but M3 keeps its original cell type and colors). Remember that total 3 levels of initial generation plus 2 generations will be copied.

The key of keeping original species and swap out a mode is always about finding the mode that loops back to itself, and just inserting one extra generation between them to keep the loop, while adding extra something to keep the virocyte spreading further.