Population Bottleneck

Some challenges are hard :). Here we can discuss their solutions. Please find the thread for the appropriate challenge or create it if it doesn't exist.
Nayus

Population Bottleneck

Post by Nayus » Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:17 pm

Population Bottleneck

Difficulty: PhD

Progress: Unlocks gene Neurocyte, programmable genome parameters, and further challenges

Description:
This diverse ecosystem reproduces sexually using a new cell type, the Gamete. This cell doesn't have a complete set of chromosomes and can thus not split.
However, it can fuse with another compatible gamete to form a new cell with complete genome. After fusing the mode is changed and the lifecycle can continue. This way beneficial traits can efficiently spread through a population.
The ecosystem on this dish unfortunately went through a population bottleneck when professor Challenger spilled a mug of coffee on it. Now the gene for swimming fast is missing. Can you reintroduce it to the gene pool?

Win Conditions: 750 or more total cells with 2 or less inserted

General Strategy: Make a variation of the organism present but with a faster Flagellocyte

Record Solution: ?
Nasif

Re: Population Bottleneck

Post by Nasif » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:56 pm

I can't find the solution at all my organism dies everytime
wapcaplet

Post by wapcaplet » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:17 am

Because the Nitrocyte is not available in the genome editor, you won't be able to create a new organism that survives, so you will need to modify the existing organism through its gametes.

You can do this by selecting any cell, and loading it in the genome editor. Any changes you make to these cells can propagate to others with compatible gametes--swim speed, for example. I like to change their color too, so it's easier to see which cells are changed when the gametes fuse.

After editing, select the gamete as the initial cell, and place it directly in front of two nearby existing swimmers. You should slowly see your changes spreading through the population, depending on how beneficial the changes are.
JistJak

Post by JistJak » Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:55 pm

I have tried doing as you said and even let it incubate for an hour. Came back, every cell had accepted my modification and were fast swimmers. But he population never went higher than 660. It went up to 660 then started falling towards 440 then risen to about 500 and stayed for while. And it just kept doing the same thing over and over again. Going all the way in the mid 600s only to fall to lower 400s and rise up again to 500 and occassional rinse and repeat.
Grimmrog

Post by Grimmrog » Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:42 am

JistJak wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:55 pm
I have tried doing as you said and even let it incubate for an hour. Came back, every cell had accepted my modification and were fast swimmers. But he population never went higher than 660. It went up to 660 then started falling towards 440 then risen to about 500 and stayed for while. And it just kept doing the same thing over and over again. Going all the way in the mid 600s only to fall to lower 400s and rise up again to 500 and occassional rinse and repeat.
have you made them too fast?
JistJak

Post by JistJak » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:08 am

I maxed the speed The first time but then i tried again with slightly slower speeds. It did pretty much the same. And i kept trying to place the starting cells in different places. It looked promissing until it reached 721 cells then it plummited & refused to go above 650. I'm gonna keep doing the same thing over and over again until i get a different result.
Alast

Post by Alast » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:10 am

You only need to up the speed of your Flagellocyte by 1 or 2 ticks with Snap Values active.

Too much speed is inefficient because it burns too much energy to quickly for what you can gain. You'll want to find the sweet spot.
Perfection hasnt reached me yet, but its trying hard!
JistJak

Post by JistJak » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:24 am

Alast wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:10 am
You only need to up the speed of your Flagellocyte by 1 or 2 ticks with Snap Values active.

Too much speed is inefficient because it burns too much energy to quickly for what you can gain. You'll want to find the sweet spot.
Thank you! That worked perfectly!
WhatTheSillyName

Post by WhatTheSillyName » Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:00 am

Using viral gametes is another solution.

Btw, this solution can used in Adaptation challenge too.
Attachments
Screenshot_20191113-161648.png
Ya~
PkmnQuantum

Post by PkmnQuantum » Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:59 am

wapcaplet wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:17 am
You can do this by selecting any cell, and loading it in the genome editor. Any changes you make to these cells can propagate to others with compatible gametes--swim speed, for example. I like to change their color too, so it's easier to see which cells are changed when the gametes fuse.
I don't understand. How do I only partially change a creature using a gamete? I don't even understand how gametes work.