Is there a way to re-create a challenge environment?

Some challenges are hard :). Here we can discuss their solutions. Please find the thread for the appropriate challenge or create it if it doesn't exist.
Draconi

Is there a way to re-create a challenge environment?

Postby Draconi » Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:46 am

So like many other people, I've found myself stuck on the infamous "macrophages 4" challenge, and while i have plenty of cells that can survive and thrive in it's environment, i have none that can get to the required 400+ number.

So after fiddling around with cells for a bit i decided to give evolution a try, to see if i can re-create the environment of Macrophages 4 in the experimental pitri dish, insert my cells, and slowly worsen the environment overtime. My logic being that if i can get a species that can stably survive in an environment worse then the one i'm after, they should be able to thrive in macrophages 4.

unfortunately i haven't found any sort of mechanic that lets me copy-paste the enviroment itself, so trying to breed a cell that can survive a specific environment without being able to access the environment itself is kind of pointless. So... does anyone know the specifics of macrophages 4's environment? any way to copy it over to the experimental dish?

looking it up has saddly yeilded no results, causing me to cave and make an account here to ask this question. any help you can provide would be great, i'm really loving this game so far.

CandyYAHFT

Re: Is there a way to re-create a challenge environment?

Postby CandyYAHFT » Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:22 am

Well, recreating the substrates from the challenges is all guess work, tough you can increase your understanding of the game by playing with the experiments, but if this isn't enough, you could try with the user-created challenges there are difficult challenges, but there are some easy but complex ones, that'll help you understand the mechanics of the game
How close have you been to complete the challenge?
At what cell number is your peak?
I need to know how close are you to know how much advice do you need
PEACE & LOVE,
CANDY

Draconi

Postby Draconi » Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:27 am

i think i've topped out at around 170 or possibly 200. not high enough to beat the level sadly.

evolution has already improved on my initial design a few times and given me more and more successful variants, but without knowing exactly what environment i'm going to be putting them into it's hard to get them to survive in a less-habitable environment.

i'd highly recommend including the ability to draw in environments from challenges into the experiments tab, it'd be really handy.

CandyYAHFT

Postby CandyYAHFT » Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:38 am

Mmmmmm...
It seems like you're close, did you already tried letting the food appears before putting your cells in?
That's the key for get the highest peak
PEACE & LOVE,
CANDY

Draconi

Postby Draconi » Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:23 am

yup, been doing that the whole time.just seems like all my cells eat the food and reproduce at the same rate as they die out, so there's no way for them to grow.

Alast

Postby Alast » Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:14 am

Yes, this is a tough one. Luckily you don't need to solve it in order to unlock new cell types. But, of course, it's nice to have them all solved ;)

What you can do is take the swimmer you have and see where it averages out in the challenge. Then open a substrate and place your swimmer in that and keep adjusting the nutrient parameters until your swimmer averages about the same value as in the challenge. There you have your test substrate :-)
Perfection hasnt reached me yet, but it tries hard!

Raven

Postby Raven » Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:20 am

Well, it sort of takes the fun out of itif you can let evolution do alll the work.
(;>

Alast

Postby Alast » Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:45 am

I feel the same way personally. But...

...others might feel different
...evolution doesn't help much here as it optimizes for longevity whereas in this challenge all you need is a peak of 300.

Draconi

Postby Draconi » Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:50 am

I've already been doing that alast, but it still hasn't been helping. without knowing exactly what the environment is in the challenge i'm just leaving it all up to guesswork, and there are so many variables that anything could throw the whole thing off. Viscosity, nutrient chunks, amounts, nitrates (whatever that's about) etc. having a way to allow evolution to occur in the same solution you're trying to pass the challenge of would be amazing.

Alast

Postby Alast » Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:11 am

Well, as I said, evolution won't help you on this one anyway.

Evolution optimizes your species gradually over time for best fitness to survive in the long run. But what you need is one big burst at the beginning without caring about how well your species is adjusted to the environment long term. Evolution cannot provide that. So you will have to get there manually.

Return to “Discussion of Challenges”