Is there a way to re-create a challenge environment?

Some challenges are hard :). Here we can discuss their solutions. Please find the thread for the appropriate challenge or create it if it doesn't exist.
Draconi

Re: Is there a way to re-create a challenge environment?

Postby Draconi » Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:37 am

Well actually, yes it can.

if i can know and understand the environment of the challenge, i can set up the experimental stage to emulate that. i set up a species that can survive in that environment just fine, then i reduce the amount of food and make conditions slightly worse. i do this again and again over a long period of time, until eventually i'm getting a species that is managing to sustain roughly one hundred cells on a quarter of the food the challenge provides. save that cell, bring it over to the challenge, and it's suddenly been introduced to what comparatively seems like a utopia, more food, better conditions, and it's population will just explode, hopefully into the 400's i need.

I'd be like conditioning a breed of rabbits to just barely survive on one bowl of grass every day. Then you take that breed and introduce it into a massive field of grass a mile wide in every direction. No matter how many rabbits you had to start out with, the species is going to absolutely explode as nobody is fighting for food anymore and there's more then enough to go around.

Alast

Postby Alast » Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:45 am

That sounds great in theory. And I think you should go for it and try it out :) I doubt though that it will necessarily lead to the result you want (which is btw. 300 cells), because you still are conditioning your species for longevity. It might end up minimizing its energy output which then counteracts fast breeding in my experience.

But hey, I might be wrong. I'd be very interested in your insights when you've tried it out!
Perfection hasnt reached me yet, but it tries hard!

CandyYAHFT

Postby CandyYAHFT » Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:36 pm

Just let evolution give you the best swimmer it can, then make it go radial for better spreading
PEACE & LOVE,
CANDY

Alast

Postby Alast » Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:27 pm

I actually tested evolution with my best swimmer (the one peaking on max count) on very low food supply. The genome changed. Then I let it go into a standard substrate and the first wave peak never reached 800 anymore. So this confirms my theory.

Draconi

Postby Draconi » Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:34 pm

so can anyone explain the "substrate with nitrates" thing in the experimental dish? i'm noticing that with it on my cells are able to reproduce just fine, but with it off they all just sort of die out. not entirely sure what that does or why it's important unfortunately, i'm a biology student, but not as advanced a one as i'd like.

Alast

Postby Alast » Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:36 pm

That is explained farther into the challenges. When the substrate has no Nitrates after a certain point cells cannot split anymore. It needs Nitrocytes then in your genome to provide the Nitrates for further splits. So for now keep it on to have Nitrates.

Draconi

Postby Draconi » Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:55 pm

ahh okay, thanks.

in other news my wrigglers have evolved into an odd type which first has eater-cell A on the mover cell, which immediately splits into cells B and C. B immediately died, and A was replaced by C.

now they're producing movement cells which are large enough and have a low enough division mass to immediately split into both the movement and eater cell A. so idk, i think this species is kind of providing it's own food source by sacrificing parts of itself? pretty neat regardless.

CandyYAHFT

Postby CandyYAHFT » Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:15 pm

Another glitchy genome :|
Could you send me that?
I'd love to see if is actually legit, you can post it on drop box, or send it to my e-mail
yahftunited@gmail.com
Is an e-mail I only use for games and stuff, so that's why I really don't care who knows it
PEACE & LOVE,
CANDY

Draconi

Postby Draconi » Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:48 pm

think i sent it, never done something like that so i'm not 100% sure.

edit: just realized i only sent the former. just sent the seccond one, the one that spits out a movement cell before splitting into a wriggler.

edit 2: Hup! proof of concept! this latest breed is peaking up to about 200 or so cells! 220 in some cases! just a little longer in the evolution dish and i might just have something here.

bwisialo

Postby bwisialo » Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:23 am

Evolution doesn't exactly do the work for you. You have to work evolution in different and specific ways for different purposes.

And yes, evolution can help quite a lot for Macropahges IV if want it to and know how to use it well for high first-wave peak values.

@Draconi - You are in luck, much more luck than you imagined. Petter posted the Macrophages IV substrate here. :)
amor fati

Return to “Discussion of Challenges”