5: Macrophages II

Some challenges are hard :). Here we can discuss their solutions. Please find the thread for the appropriate challenge or create it if it doesn't exist.
Petter
Site Admin

5: Macrophages II

Post by Petter » Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:59 am

Hi,

(EDIT: The name of this challenge has changed in recent versions, made new topic for what is now called level 7: Macrophages III)

I solve this challenge in the promotional video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ujaymU ... u.be&t=16s
(i see now that I wrote "challenge 6" but it should be challenge 5)

Though I do this very quickly so it might be hard to see what is happening. The key thing is that food is so sparse that the cells need to swim around to collect it.

The food cells can't swim and the swimmer cells can't eat so we need one of each connected to each other. This can be achieved by having your initial cell (mode 1) split into cell mode 2 and 3. Tick "Make adhesin" to make sure they stick together. Let 3 be a Flagellocyte (swimmer) and 2 a Phagoscyte (eater). This organism will survive and grow since it swims around and collects food. Since the mode 2 cell is getting the food directly it will grow faster than the swimmer and thus be the one splitting first (unless you change split mass or growth priority). If you make mode 2 split to 1,2 without making ahesin but with "Keep adhesin" ticked it will give off cells in mode 1 while still being connected to the swimmer. The cells left behind will then make new swimmers and the cycle is closed!

Hope that helps! Otherwise, let me know.

Cheers,
Petter
Krell356

Re: 5: Macrophages II

Post by Krell356 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:49 pm

Truly the simplest creature of the game. What's funny is I made one that was far faster at spreading when I first started due to a lack of experience. By adding a mode4 attached to the mode2 that acted as an egg that split into 1/1 without attachment I practically doubled my spawn rates with virtually no side effects.
Petter
Site Admin

Post by Petter » Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:18 am

Krell365:
So your mode 2 gives off a mode 4 that then gives rise to two swimmers? Sounds cool, don't think I've tried that. If it indeed spreads faster maybe we can make a new challenge, like get 400 cells within a very short time period.

Maybe we can represent the organisms like this? This would be the one I described in the top post.

Code: Select all

/\
      2--3
     /\  |
    1 2--3
1: Phagocyte, default settings
2: Phagocyte, default settings
3: Flagellocyte, default settings
Petter
Site Admin

Post by Petter » Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:23 am

Hmm, that did not show up as intended, all my spaces are gone.

Krell365:
Indeed this is the simplest creature of the game, though after I wrote the hint that 3 modes are required I've been thinking if it might be possible to make a surviving swimmer with just 2 modes for that challenge. I've managed to get like 200 cells but not 450. I do like this

/\
1--2
| /\
1 1--2

1: Phagocyte, high split mass
2: Flagellocyte, higher priority, low split mass

It requires some fine tuning but perhaps 450 is possible.