55: Digestion III

Here we report bugs in the beta.
fungus3

Re: 55: Digestion III

Post by fungus3 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:14 pm

I actually managed to make a solution that beats the challenge and can reach 600+ cells.
Alast

Post by Alast » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:09 am

Good for you.
Perfection hasnt reached me yet, but its trying hard!
Enerdhil

Post by Enerdhil » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:41 am

I cannot solve this chalenge for 3 month! Please help!
Alast

Post by Alast » Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:44 am

What is not working for you? What have you tried? How close did you get so far?
Perfection hasnt reached me yet, but its trying hard!
Enerdhil

Post by Enerdhil » Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:44 pm

I have tried with four diffrent species. Three of them are kite/deltoid swimmers with stereocyte fagocyte and secretocyte on diffrent position. After created every genome i have evolved it and tried to beat chalenge. I can reach only 200-300 cell. The fifth organizm was pentagonic swimmers with two flegello one per each side the one secretocyte located ahead of the swimmers and two fago and one stereo on the back wall of the pentagonic swimmers but this species have problem with reproduction. I don't know why. I have beat every chalenge befour it without any help but now i have a huge problem.
drowemos

Post by drowemos » Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:36 pm

My God this challenge is evil. It took forever to figure out how to do it with Keratinocyte and then, because people said they did it without Keratinocyte it took even longer to figure out how to do it that way. The problem is that the way of thinking for this challenge is a little different from other challenges. So for those of you suffering through this lab I’m going to the principal I used to figure out a solution

(spoilers ahead)

Speed matters-
The biggest key to this lab is the speed you organism moves. You need to make sure the food spends long enough contact with the Secrocyte to be uncoated and that no undue jostling knocks the food away. Also if you are not using Keratinocyte, but long adhesion, to protect your cells then any excess speed will push the Secrocyte into other cells killing the organism. It is very hard to complete this lab if you have “snap values” checked. The lowest snap value speed just is too high.

Use structure to create a mouth and gut-
What you want to have happen is the food to be squeezed into the Secrocyte to be uncoated and then to be immediately fall into a chamber that forces it into the Phagocyte. You can’t waste any food on this challenge so you have to structure your organism to catch every particle of food that is uncoats. This is easier to do with Keratinocytes because you can have tighter spaces for the food to travel through. Without Keratinocytes, again you will probably have to turn “snap values” off as precision is key.

Pooping with save your organism’s life-
No matter how well you design your mouth occasionally some coated food will fall into your organism’s gut. If that coated food is allowed to stay in there, the organism will spin itself to death. You need to create a hole at the back of your organism that is open when the Phagocyte is not absorbing nutrients but closed when it is.

Turning is more important than forward momentum-
The food is clumped on this challenge, if your organism makes wide turn it will spend too much time away from the food. Tight turning makes sure you are able to grab as much nutrition as possible.

Streamlining is important-
Outside of self-destruction the biggest threat to your organism is getting hooked on one of its fellow creatures. In one of my early attempts I made a W shaped organism that was almost perfect at gathering nutrients. The problem was, if these organism hit each other head on, they would get interlinked and slowly poison each other to death. A glancing blow with a lipase is not a problem but if you organisms get hung up on each other they will kill each other off before your population can reach peak.

Create self-destructing Secrocyte-
As time goes on your plate will become littered with the pieces of dead organisms. For the most part this is fine and can actually help you complete the challenge. But orphaned Secrocytes pose a hazard for undamaged creatures. This is less of a problem if you are using Keratinocytes as the “head” of your organism will be protected. But without Keratinocytes you will see your population sized slowly decrease over time as more and more of little Secrocytes landmines are dropped about the plate. Find a way to immediately kill off your Secrocyte if it becomes disconnected from the organism.

Evolution makes things worse-
This was the most frustrating part of the challenge for me. I had gotten used to creating an organism that came close and then using radiation to fine tune the thing. However, this challenge was clearly designed by a creationist. Here, evolving your organism makes it less efficient and decreases your overall population size. The reason for this is evolution rewards the creature that can get to the food first even if it’s not the most efficient at consuming that food. But here you want a colony of slow moving creatures that efficiently uses all nutrition. Evolution, favoring the individual over the group, move your design away from that goal.

These are the principals I needed to complete this challenge.