Gametes exploiting evolution gone wrong

Here we report bugs in the beta.
humon

Gametes exploiting evolution gone wrong

Post by humon » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:03 pm

Gametes and evolution met by radiation. Works as long as the gametes don't find a way to exploit it!
These cells reproduce solely by self-fertilization by splitting into two gametes which swiftly end up merging back again.
Even if intended, it is still annoying.
If not, another example of the power of evolution.
-First experiment of the Aspiring Apprentice-
Once a single split,
Now a grand gift,
Thanks to evolution,
A complete revolution.

The substrate being well lit,
The cells no longer fit,
One last tragic split:
"I quit!"

-the Lost Poet
Petter
Site Admin

Re: Gametes exploiting evolution gone wrong

Post by Petter » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:21 pm

Yes, this is annoying, but makes sense since cloning is more efficient than sexual reproduction for these simple organisms. I've considered having two genders, and only allowing gametes with different genders to merge. Not sure if there would be any loopholes to that.
BoltStrikes

Post by BoltStrikes » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:22 pm

Well evolution is supposed to find the most efficient way for organisms to survive in an environment. At some point it became more efficient for organisms to reproduce sexually, and later even developed genders. Why? Well, if we find out (presumably by googling) then we might get evolution to make sexually reproducing organisms on its own!
░I would like to announce to announce that░░░░░░░░░░
░┌─┬─┬┐┌┐░┌┐┌──┬──┐░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░│┌┤┬┤│││░│││┌┐│┌┐│░Will be on discord!░░░░░░░░
░│└┤┴┤└┤└┐│└┤├┤│┌┐│░https://discord.gg/hgBNnpy░
░└─┴─┴─┴─┘└─┴┘└┴──┘░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
Petter
Site Admin

Post by Petter » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:44 pm

I think it is a bit of a mystery how sexual reproduction is so beneficials, see e.g. this abstract:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8062455
so it seems to me that it might be impossible for sexual reproduction to actually be the winning mechanism in the small simulations we can run in CL. It is however interesting to study related phenomena so i still think the gametes are worthwhile, though they likely have to be used in somewhat synthetic setups.
humon

Post by humon » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:32 pm

Petter wrote:I think it is a bit of a mystery how sexual reproduction is so beneficials, see e.g. this abstract:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8062455
so it seems to me that it might be impossible for sexual reproduction to actually be the winning mechanism in the small simulations we can run in CL. It is however interesting to study related phenomena so i still think the gametes are worthwhile, though they likely have to be used in somewhat synthetic setups.
I mean, many cells reproduce by cloning but occasionally shuffle their DNA with others. It IS a handy thing to do if it doesn't slow reproduction nor does it take an extra cell
Once a single split,
Now a grand gift,
Thanks to evolution,
A complete revolution.

The cells no longer fit,
One last tragic split:
"I quit!"

-the Lost Poet
121daredevil

Post by 121daredevil » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:09 am

Hey guys did you unlock the gamete yet can you help me because im getting stuck to digestion please reply to me thank you!
For every failure has made. Try and try again and Success will be achieved
H4yw1r3

Post by H4yw1r3 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:34 am

@121daredevil Just use Secro's releasing Lipase..

Now for the Gametes, I like how it actually spreads in the internal mapping of the genome. I tried making 2 kites of different colors with Gametes and they somehow spread the "parts of the kite" at the bottom list of the modes. I found this pretty useful xD..This could potentially make evolutions a lot interesting...
Are complex creatures too advanced for you to understand?
Well, let me flood you with them.
Alast

Post by Alast » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:42 am

Radiation tends to make genomes lose their Gametes and instead reproduce asexually. You can prevent that through the Telomere setting which is not affected by radiation. It can limit the number of splits the cells can make and only the Gamete provides a proper workaround then.
Perfection hasnt reached me yet, but its trying hard!
humon

Post by humon » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:35 pm

Alast wrote:Radiation tends to make genomes lose their Gametes and instead reproduce asexually. You can prevent that through the Telomere setting which is not affected by radiation. It can limit the number of splits the cells can make and only the Gamete provides a proper workaround then.
If you check the organism, they exploited this function. A cell splits into 2 gametes, which merge instantly, as if nothing happened, resetting the telomeres.
Once a single split,
Now a grand gift,
Thanks to evolution,
A complete revolution.

The cells no longer fit,
One last tragic split:
"I quit!"

-the Lost Poet
Alast

Post by Alast » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:44 pm

Yes, that's on self fertilization which is a bit trickier to prevent. Not sure right now it's even possible entirely. Guess I was getting slightly off topic with my comment :)
Perfection hasnt reached me yet, but its trying hard!