42: population bottleneck

Here we report bugs in the beta.
Stannis Baratheon

42: population bottleneck

Post by Stannis Baratheon » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:54 pm

hello everyone, I'm unable to clear this challenge in beta version can you plz help me out...
I'm really enjoying this game a lot and this level is stopping me from playing next ones... And thanks to all who contributed in making and maintenance of this awesome game... thanks
Alast

Re: 42: population bottleneck

Post by Alast » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:58 pm

moved into beta forum
Perfection hasnt reached me yet, but its trying hard!
Alast

Post by Alast » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:01 pm

The description in the challenge explains nicely what's needed here :) Basically you want to create a Gamete swimmer that is compatible with the one on the substrate and provides the optimization needed to get the organism above the threshold.

It's an Undergrad difficulty challenge, so don't overthink it.
wapcaplet

Post by wapcaplet » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:09 pm

What helped me was to load the existing swimmer into the genome editor, and modify it. This ensures compatibility with the swimmer that already lives there.
Noughtypixy

Post by Noughtypixy » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:03 am

wapcaplet wrote:What helped me was to load the existing swimmer into the genome editor, and modify it. This ensures compatibility with the swimmer that already lives there.
Yep that's pretty much what I did, changed colour of flagello so could see the geenes spreading.
beware the pixys
Stannis Baratheon

Post by Stannis Baratheon » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:32 pm

thanks for responding...
are gemates like virocytes? sorry if I'm asking for too much but can you plz explain how gemates work? maybe tell me how I can make one on a simple substrate and understand its behaviour?
Alast

Post by Alast » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:58 pm

Gametes are cells that can fuse with each other to create offspring. When they fuse they will each bring their own genome into the fusion resulting in a random combination of these 2 genomes for the new child.

Let's say you have a swimmer with the cells 1, 2 and 3 with 3 being a Gamete and another swimmer with the cells A, B and C, with C also being a Gamete. When 3 and C get in touch and fuse then the created offspring might have the cells 1, B, 3 or any other possible combination.

Gametes fuse more easily when they are compatible to each other, otherwise it takes more force. So you'll want to make sure that 3 and C are compatible to each other. In the challenge the Gamete of the challenge species is of a certain mode and compatible to the same mode. So you want your solution organism have a Gamete with the same properties.

Load the challenge species into your genome editor to analyze it. From there it shouldn't be hard to find a solution :)