Noncommutative viruses not working [Spoilers]

Here we report bugs in the beta.
JustYourAverageHuman

Noncommutative viruses not working [Spoilers]

Post by JustYourAverageHuman » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:40 am

So I get the general idea of noncommutative viruses. Each virus uses the modes 1-11, with 11 being the virus so 1-10 is the main concern. Each virus has three different types of modes, lightly shaded, darker shaded, and black. The darker shaded modes are overwritten by the virus, and are a part of the final organism, and are thus essential. The lightly shaded modes are overwritten by the virus, but are not part of the final organism, so they can be overwritten by subsequent viruses. And black modes are not touched by the virus. So the idea is that when you find the correct order, all the essential modes will be present at the same time and the lipocyte will turn into a smart swimmer. So, any time you apply a virus to the lipocyte, you have to make sure that no future virus will overwrite the essential modes of previous viruses.

The essential modes are as follows:

Red: M7
Yellow: M4
Green: M2
Cyan: M1
Blue: M5 and M6
Pink: M3

You can see by the essential modes that M8-M10 for all the viruses only contain lightly shaded modes and black modes and are unnecessary to the final organism, a 7 mode smart swimmer.

Now we can begin deducing the order of the viruses. The first thing that can be noted is that all viruses overwrite M1. Because M1 is the essential mode for the cyan virus, cyan must be last. This is reinforced by the fact that cyan does not overwrite M2-M7, the essential modes of all the other viruses. After some more searching, it can be found that the red virus must be first. M7 is the only mode which is black in every other virus, and thus if the red virus is used first, M7 will never be overwritten. Likewise with green, in every other virus except red, M2 is black. Meaning that if green is applied second after red, it will never be overwritten.

So far we have 3 out of the 6 viruses placed: Red first, green second, and cyan last. Yellow blue and pink are where things start getting difficult. When comparing yellow and blue, you can see that blue will overwrite yellow's essential mode M4, but yellow will not overwrite blue's essential modes M5 and M6. Therefore blue must come before yellow. Lastly comes pink. And this is why my problem lies. Pink's essential mode is M3, and it overwrites M4 and M6. Because it overwrites essential modes from blue and yellow, it must come before them right? But there is a problem with that too. Both yellow and blue also overwrite M3, which means pink must come after.

This is a contradiction. No matter where pink is placed in the order, it will always overwrite an essential mode or have it's essential mode overwritten. Even if you used the same virus more than once it doesn't solve the problem. Something will always be overwritten. Based on this I think Noncommutative viruses is impossible so solve in the intended way.
H4yw1r3

Re: Noncommutative viruses not working [Spoilers]

Post by H4yw1r3 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:16 am

It is indeed a contradiction but the challenge itself somehow manages to have a solution available to be used. So far, I think there's still only one way to solve it..
You can summon me to help you modify genomes..
Alast

Post by Alast » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:19 am

Your deduction is very good! It's just one detail that's preventing you from solving this. Lightly shaded does not necessarily mean that this mode will be overwritten but that it's referenced to in the genome.

If we now remember that Viruses only copy their genome 2 generations down we can logically deduce the sequential position of the pink cell :)
Perfection hasnt reached me yet, but its trying hard!
H4yw1r3

Post by H4yw1r3 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:25 am

I tried observing ir step-by-step and the replacement of the essential modes seem to be prevented due to the limits of the Virocyte..
You can summon me to help you modify genomes..