Genome preview shows up in microscope

Here we report bugs in the beta.
L4Vo5

Genome preview shows up in microscope

Post by L4Vo5 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:15 pm

This happened to me even before the beta and even on another android version, though on the same phone.
It only happens if I go from objective/substrate directly to genome, then from there to microscope. It only fixes itself if I go from objective/substrate to microscope.
The image does not appear on the objective/substrate tab.
Screenshot_20180216-230650.png
(In case it's not clear, it shows the same thing you see in the genome preview, but it looks a bit whiter. Maybe that's an optical illusion?)
Petter
Site Admin

Re: Genome preview shows up in microscope

Post by Petter » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:13 am

I've heard a few reports of this before but never experienced it on a device myself so it's hard to debug. What phone do you have?
L4Vo5

Post by L4Vo5 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:41 pm

Petter wrote:I've heard a few reports of this before but never experienced it on a device myself so it's hard to debug. What phone do you have?
I have a Moto G 2014
Petter
Site Admin

Post by Petter » Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:27 pm

thx!
Icehawk78

Post by Icehawk78 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:18 pm

This happens for me as well, on a Pixel XL.

I've largely noticed it happening if I'm on the genome editor, and then use the task switcher to go to another app, and then switch back. I'm able to fairly easily replicate it by simply switching back and forth between Cell Lab and Hangouts and back, and then changing the generation slider.
Petter
Site Admin

Post by Petter » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:05 pm

Thanks for reporting! Ok, just to understand exactly:
You go to genome editor, switch to hangout then switch back. Now you're in CL, once again in the genome editor, but actually the microscope is rendered too.

In the screenshot it seems to be the opposite, we're in the microscope but the genome editor is still rendered. Does that happen for you too if you switch from microscope to hangouts and back? Does this happen consistently all the time or just sometimes?

If the simulation is running, can you see the cells move around while in the genome editor?

Any issues when you rotate the screen to landscape?

Sorry for all the questions :P

Cheers,
Petter
Icehawk78

Post by Icehawk78 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:21 pm

Not a problem, I'm also a developer, so I know how difficult it can be to track down bugs.

So, yes, exact steps for reproduction, and it seems to happen every time:

1. Load CL, open a substrate, then go to the gene editor.
2. Press the task switcher button, and bring another app into focus. (I've tested with Hangouts, Reddit, and Spotify, so it seems to be losing focus, not what the other app is that matters)
3. Press the task switcher button, and bring CL back up.
4. Immediately, you should see the current rendering of your genome get brighter. This is due to a semi-transparent copy of what was in the preview window being temporarily burned into the app.
5. For fun, fast forward to the next split in the genome. Assuming default genome, you should now see a transparent single phagocyte cell hovering on top of two split phagocyte cells.
6. Repeat steps 2-4. Now the ghost image will be all three overlapped.
7. Switch to the Microscope or Substrate views. Your ghostly cells will remain, interacting with nothing, but being kinda annoying. They do remain even when not frozen, when panning around, etc.

- Switching to/from Landscape mode erases the current ghost image, but all of the above steps work if you start out in Landscape mode as well.
Petter
Site Admin

Post by Petter » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:03 pm

Great, I almost guessed so :)
Just to clarify, this bug happens on quite few devices so I've never had a chance to see it and play around with it myself, indeed making it difficult to track down. I'm putting a making an opengl render in this android tab view, which i guess is not so special. I also make a rendering with a kind of transparent background in the preview to make the background the same and interaction with the slider nice. This might be a bit unusual and perhaps buggy so I removed it and just made the background the same, I guess it is kind of the same. It's just a wild guess at what the bug might be but would you mind testing to see if there is a difference?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/zjh2xsugctb0i ... t.apk?dl=1
Icehawk78

Post by Icehawk78 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:29 am

It's an improvement, but not all the way there yet. The effect no longer persists across tabs, but within the cell preview area, it still happens, with the same reproduction steps.
Petter
Site Admin

Post by Petter » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:38 pm

Great to hear!
I've now uploaded v96 with one more change, can you see if it got any better? It should arrive to your phone soon if you have signed up for beta.

Cheers,
Petter