Freezing bug

Here we report bugs in the beta.
Aryan

Freezing bug

Post by Aryan » Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:49 am

This is to report that there is a bug in the freeze mode. You can reproduce this bug by placing a photocyte with low split mass on a substrate with the max cell count low like 1000 depending on the Petri dish size . Then let the photocytes to spilt until the cell count reaches max. Freeze the substrate and try to remove some cells using cell remover tool. And even after removing many cells you will find that the cell count has not gone down because some cells in the Petri dish have split in the freeze mode :!: . Each time you will remove a cell you will observe that a cell automatically splits :twisted: . I faced a similar problem in which some cell were showing small movements in the freeze mode in the non beta version but could not know much about it because there was no cell removing tool or any other cell tools. First I thought to introduce this bug in the User-created challenges by giving a challenge in which you will have to remove all the cells and you can use cell removing tool but then I thought this challenge will last only until this bug is removed so I changed my plan :D .

You can use almost any cell type to recreate this bug but that cell must have a low split mass and its cell count must reach the max cell count of the Petri dish. :)
H4yw1r3

Re: Freezing bug

Post by H4yw1r3 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:08 am

I've also seen this happening. At times, the age of the substrates sometimes run slowly occasionally in Freeze Mode. At first, I think Petter intentionally did it..
You can summon me to help you modify genomes..
Petter
Site Admin

Post by Petter » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:31 pm

This is kind of intended behaviour, though not optimal. The cells wait and don't split since the max limit is reached, once the number of cells decrease they do split.

The time should not change though. Do you know of a way to reproduce this?
H4yw1r3

Post by H4yw1r3 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:00 am

Try making a new substrate, in Freeze Mode. Then tick on the 'Contaminate with random cells' option. It moves the time just a bit, most of the time just less than 1.0hr. It occasionally runs below 2.0hr..
You can summon me to help you modify genomes..
Petter
Site Admin

Post by Petter » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:56 am

Thats weird, for me it stays at 0h. What version do you have?
Aryan

Post by Aryan » Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:54 am

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6g6ymsihe4q22 ... trate?dl=0
This is the link. Just try to remove some cells in this substrate using cell removal tool by freezing it. You will see that no cell gets removed. This is because some cell are splitting in freeze mode :!: and as far as I know no cell should split in freeze mode. By close observation you will see some cells splitting automatically as soon as you remove a cell, even in the freeze mode :!: . And this freeze mode splitting occurs with all kind of cells.
Petter
Site Admin

Post by Petter » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:33 pm

I didn't try the substrate, but I believe you, because, as I wrote, this is the intended behaviour. All kinds of weird things happen when the max cell limit is saturated. It should be avoided for a reasonable evolution simulation. Just increase the limit, or if the device can not handle that, make the substrate smaller.