Food bug 300

Here we report bugs in the beta.
Aryan

Food bug 300

Post by Aryan » Sun May 27, 2018 12:54 pm

I think I have found a bug. I haven't not much experimented with it but can tell how to reproduce it. First set the max food count in the advanced settings 300 and then open the substrate. Now you will see that first the food count goes up for sometime and goes down to almost 0 and keeps repeating the cycle. Even wierd things happen when the food concentration and food chunk size is maxed the food count keeps oscillating from about 315 (more than max limit 300!) to about 30. It seems like there is a time when the food bits stop spawning after a limit and so the remaining ones decay leaving very few chunks and then the chunks spawn again.
H4yw1r3

Re: Food bug 300

Post by H4yw1r3 » Sun May 27, 2018 1:14 pm

This naturally happens in-game. I've experienced this many times with substrates that possess food limits of more than 1,000. They have like a high tide-low tide relationship in certain periods of time..
Are complex creatures too advanced for you to understand?
Well, let me flood you with them.
Aryan

Post by Aryan » Sun May 27, 2018 2:05 pm

Yes normal increase and decrease happens in the game but I am talking about food count dropping as much as 3000 (and even more depending on the petri dish size). As I tried I found food gets significantly decreased mostly when the max food limit is less than the maximum food we can get by setting the food settings to max in respect to petri dish size. For example if petri dish size is 1 mm than it will decrease below 1400 if petri dish diameter is 0.5 mm then it will decrease at about 300. You can yourself try by setting petri dish size to 10 mm and setting max food count to 5000 it drops to 80!! A huge drop.
Aryan

Post by Aryan » Sun May 27, 2018 2:28 pm

Now I tried with dish diameter 10 mm and max food limit 15000 and it dropped to 100. If 15000 can drop to 100 then theoretically an infinity drop!!! may also be possible (with an infinite computer). Ok infinity is to big to be proved but now I will try this with bigger number as it is amazing to see it dropping. But overall I think it to be a big problem because 14000 drop is still very serious and thank God I was't running a simulation there because it would have got ruined. And it is also a big problem because it unables us to make stable environments with max food less than the previously told limit.
Aryan

Post by Aryan » Sun May 27, 2018 2:39 pm

But please don't remove this but add it as a new feature because making organisms in an environment with automatically oscillating food count would be awesome. And let's try to make some organisms in such a food oscillating environment.
AdityaTheGamer1804

Post by AdityaTheGamer1804 » Sun May 27, 2018 4:18 pm

Yes, it happened same to me. And making an oscillating food substrate would be awesome too.
Use your Creativity to make anything good :)
Alast

Post by Alast » Sun May 27, 2018 7:44 pm

This has always been the case when the substrate is theoretically big enough to support more food than the set maximum.
Perfection hasnt reached me yet, but its trying hard!
JustYourAverageHuman

Post by JustYourAverageHuman » Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:55 pm

So to elaborae on what Alast said, the effect is caused by the interaction of a few different systems. The things we are concerned with are the the nutrient rate, the petri dish diameter, and the maximum food count. The maximum food count option exists to prevent lag on large substrates. Nutrient rate affects the density of food particle spawning, and the food count measures the total amount of food on the substrate, not just the number of particles. Or more effect is at play here as well, all food particles slowly shrink over time until they disappear. If your nutrient rate is high enough and your substrate is large enough. Food will continue spawning until it reaches the maximum (If you lower the maximum you can reach this easier). At the maximum no new food particles will spawn, however, all of the existing particles will lose mass, making the food counter drop. Once the food particles despawn, nearly all at once, new large particles can spawn back in increasing the food count again. This also does not happen with an organism on the substrate, as the constant consumption of food particles allows new ones to spawn.