30 Tip the Balance

Here we remember old challenge discussions that got purged in the great forum cleanup of 2018.
Mettez

30 Tip the Balance

Post by Mettez » Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:12 pm

Hello everybody,

I've been loving the game so far! I lost my afternoon playing it! The amount of creativity and insight required is phenomenal! But on this last challenge I'm completely stumped... could anybody point me in the right direction? I don't really need a solution, it would be useful to learn from, but a general direction would help! :D I've been trying for at least an hour with no Succes. ..

Can anybody here give a suggestion?

I'm sorry for any errors in my language, I'm not a native English speaker.. :oops:

Thanks!!
Mettez

Re: 30 Tip the Balance

Post by Mettez » Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:53 pm

For those interested! I solved it myself ;)

You need to remember 2 things!
1. First of all you are allowed to insert 10 cells! => you do not need to insert 10 cells of the same genome! :D
2. The title of the challenge is a clue to the solution of the challenge!!

I won't post a solution mechanic, but for those who need more than a hint, i'll describe how i solved it down here ;)

First i searched for a genome that could "tip the balance" of the 3 organisms to just one. I did this by copying all three in a self made lab sample, added some radiation, and with trial and error i found a simple devorocyte. After testing it in the challenge (i inserted 3 of these) only the green, longer organisme survived!

Then i copied only those in a lab sample, added radiation, and just waited untill they were all replaced! What i got was a 2 celled organism that either repoduced itself or produced a virus. I didn't make it myself, it just happend :D When i added this after i "tipped the balance", my new organism was dominant, it repoduced too fast for the remaining green ones to follow, and the addition of viruses prevented new ones to form.

All in all 10 min work :D

Good luck!

If you find different solutions, or even a single genome that's capable of solving this challenge, i would be VERY interested!!! :mrgreen:
Petter
Site Admin

Post by Petter » Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:08 pm

Hey!
Great work! Excellent solution process, letting evolution do the work in a very smart way :D.

This is very much the same way I solved it, though when only the long ones were left I just added a simple swimmer because it is more fit to the environment once the devorocytes are extinct.
Yohoki

Post by Yohoki » Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:54 pm

I'm taking my solution straight from nature.... and the best part of it: sex. I created sperm. Now, now, I know what you're thinking. Hold on. There's science here.

There's more to it than just a little blob with a tail. In reality, sperm is actually competitive. Some men have sperm that swim faster, trying to get to the egg before the others. Some men's sperm actually attacks other sperm. While other men have sperm that clumps up to prevent other sperm from getting through. So, I made sticky sperm!

I decided I would stop trying to kill the protected swimmers (I will call them tanks) and tried focusing on the other two. The devorocytes would be easy. They'll die when the swimmers die. So, I attacked the swimmers.

I made a simple glueocyte with only one mode. The mode simply split into itself again. Then, I adjusted nutrient priority to max and split mass to about a quarter. This created a single cell that latched into another cell and started draining it's nutrients. When it got full, it split and kept eating. I didn't activate adhesin on the groups, but many clumped together into blobs.

It was very successful. My sperm began multiplying quickly and were making little blob colonies throughout the substrate. The sperm was doing it's job and sticking to other cells and blocking others. Perfect.

Then, I saw a tank swimming up, and pushing against one of my sperm blobs. I said "go away, little tank. You're annoying." And then a looked around.

Now, men, we all know sperm is tricky and doesn't always do what you want.... I have two children, and wasn't really planning in having either.... So, as I looked around, you'll be as surprised as I was too see that the swimmers had actually multiplied much better..... and the tank that was hitting my blob was actually the last one! My sperm had failed so badly that it actually killed off the species I was ignoring and enhanced the one I was trying to eradicate! I turned the incubation on a bit longer only to see the devorocytes also vanish!

Such a simple cell destroyed all threats and left only a simple dish of swimmers!

I will not go further into details because, in all honesty, you should be able to finish off a group of 700-800 swimmers with ease at this point in the game.

Good luck! Hope you enjoyed the explanation! XD
TygrCZ

Post by TygrCZ » Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:04 am

That's the weidest explanation of anything I've ever seen. :shock:
But good job there. :)
Hello, I am TygrCZ.
nickflik0934

Post by nickflik0934 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:39 pm

yeah your right... :shock:
Yohoki

Post by Yohoki » Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:25 am

Well. What can I say.... I know random tid bits of random sciences. Jack of all trades, master of none. I just happened to know a real life example of the organism I created and how it functioned. XD science us weird sometimes. :p
nickflik0934

Post by nickflik0934 » Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:57 pm

Wait... Are phagocytes and etc acutualy realy exist?

I have never EVER seen something like a phagocyte before, photocyte or any

I know for a fact that virocytes (Infesters) exist. I have much to learn...
Bellini

Post by Bellini » Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:48 pm

I think the fact that they are microscopic in real life might explain why you haven't seen them before -_- but as for the challenge Yohoki's explanation of sticky clumps draining the nutrients from enemy cells was simply inspired! I have utilised it in a few other challenges too...
"Too much radiation! They're eating the Petri Dish!" - Famous last words of the microbiology genius Adrian Moeba.
Yohoki

Post by Yohoki » Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:17 am

Bellini wrote:but as for the challenge Yohoki's explanation of sticky clumps draining the nutrients from enemy cells was simply inspired! I have utilised it in a few other challenges too...
Thanks! I've also begun using then in other missions. They work great for sterilizing, because they are completely dependant on their hosts.
nickflik0934 wrote:Wait... Are phagocytes and etc acutualy realy exist?

I have never EVER seen something like a phagocyte before, photocyte or any

I know for a fact that virocytes (Infesters) exist. I have much to learn...
The app is not ENTIRELY true to nature. Many times, cells will have multiple roles that they fulfill, such as a single cell organism that eats cells AND has flaggella to swim around AND could store that energy. But, in the app, the cells are highly specialized and only perform one role each. It would be very boring if you could just plop every trait needed into one cell. :p

But, as for real life analogues, every "role" in this app is from real life. There are cells out there that have the ability to eat sunlight, nutrients from the environment, and even other cells.