30 Tip the Balance

Here we remember old challenge discussions that got purged in the great forum cleanup of 2018.
Sakaaaaa

Re: 30 Tip the Balance

Post by Sakaaaaa » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:52 am

Okay 1. That's pretty much the same thing posted by Alast posted somehqere in this thread
2. Please give us genomes, not instructions
"Only two things are infinite: the universe and photocytes on a sunlit substrate. I'm actually not sure about the universe!"
-Avert Eyntsein
Reaper Elite
Location: In the Underworld eating bacon and watching anime with Marilyn Monroe

Post by Reaper Elite » Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:36 am

Yeah im new here and new to the game and I didn't see his post.
Besides it's primarily for those who prefer a straight blueprint
"A mercenary can always find a war to fight if they look hard enough"
"You become a changed person when you face me and deny me your soul."
wapcaplet

Post by wapcaplet » Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:54 am

This challenge stumped me for a while, but I finally tackled it today. My genome got a lot more complicated than expected, but it went something like this:

I started with an initial glueocyte to suck nutrients from the existing cells and get in the way of their swimming. But it needs to move around, so I made it split into a devo-keratino swimmer. Now it can survive and eat, but sometimes has to swim a long way to find other cells to eat, so I added a phagocyte, allowing it to snack along the way. So at this point I have something very similar to Alast's diamond-shaped organism, with two sources of food.

How to reproduce? Well, spit out more glueocytes of course. They do a great job of gumming up the works! But then there are those darned keratinoswimmers, which are immune to devocytes, and won't stick to glueocytes, and are just hardy enough to make it nigh impossible to out-compete them on food alone. What better way to deal with them than virocytes that will hijack their reproductive cycle? So I modified my four-celled diamond swimmer to spit out both glueocytes and virocytes. I ended up using two different modes of glueocyte so I could adjust the balance, and increase the number of virocytes.

It got tense toward the end--more than once, I saw the original cell population drop below 10, only to shoot back up over 100 again. But finally, they all died!

The best part, though, was when I did "Tip the Balance II", using the exact same genome, placed my one cell, and solved it on the first try! :D