30 Tip the Balance

Here we remember old challenge discussions that got purged in the great forum cleanup of 2018.
Phaseling

Re: 30 Tip the Balance

Post by Phaseling » Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:25 pm

And an example of photocytes is algae, as the game states :) :D
From the desk of
Phaseling
Alast

Post by Alast » Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:49 am

I have solved this with inserting 1 single cell :) It develops into a 4 cell organism in a diamond shape before creating offspring.

The 4 cells are:
1 Flagellocyte at the back
1 Phagocyte connected to the Flagellocyte
1 Keratocyte connected to the swimmer and the Phagocyte
1 Devorocyte connected to the Phagocyte and the Keratocyte

With this design the Keratocyte would protect all my cells from any Devorocytes, friendly or hostile. Also my organism does have 2 energy generators with the Devorocyte at the front to run into any hostile cells. Now the offspring in form of new single Phagocytes is being generated by the Phagocyte in my organism. They get spit out to the side so that the own Devorocyte wouldn't kill them by accident.

My organism can easily take out the hostile Devorocytes as it is not affected by them and the simple swimmers anyway. The protected swimmers might take a little longer but eventually their offspring gets eaten off and they die out as well. Sometimes they even die out faster than the normal swimmers as they take longer to reproduce than their little brothers.

Actually my first solution was a bit clunkier. I had the Keratocyte in front of the the Flagellocyte and then both the Devorocyte and the Phagocyte in front of the Keratocyte neighbored to each other. This design had a major flaw. When my organism hit the wall it would keep pushing against it until it died as it didn't have a way to turn around. Got the job done anyway but I knew I could do better wasting less critters ;) That's how I got to the diamond shape design that would not get stuck at the wall anymore.

Some more tweaking then made my organism even better. By changing the angle of the Flagellocyte making my organism a little more asymmetric it now tends to go in a circle with the Phagocyte on the outside. Doesn't sound usefull at first, but this enables my organism to spit out offspring in more different angles all over the place, spreading it way faster and clearing the substrate more aggressively.

/edit: Having my organism go in circles actually has another advantage to it. As the spawn rate of a 4 cell organism is relatively low a straight swimming organism would tend to concentrate at the edges of the substrate. Swimming in circles keeps them better spread across the whole petri dish.
Perfection hasnt reached me yet, but its trying hard!
Yohoki

Post by Yohoki » Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:23 pm

You should share a picture of that one! It sounds like a great solution!
Alast

Post by Alast » Sat Jul 04, 2015 7:10 am

Alright, on public demand here is how my first design looked ;)

Everything starts as a little baby Phagocyte

It then develops into a basic swimmer

The next step is it needing protection

And now we want to go for the kill

Followed by reproduction ;)

So far so good. Our organism is now in it's final stage and can destroy all those pesky little critters poluting our substrate! And as you can see, they get the job done

But... there was this problem with this design I talked about... Walls are the arch enemies of this organism. A critter that runs into one, is stuck

Actually, they do that rather a lot!

So that was when I thought I could do it better! Same cells, just placed a little differently. And born was the diamond shape.

Starting again with the baby Phago...

... to the basic swimmer, but this time a little angled for the circular movement...

... we now have the Keratocyte forming a triangle with the other 2 cells:

The Devorocyte again completes the design...

... and we're good to spawn more critters...

... taking over the worl... petri dish!

This is how my organism dominates the substrate starting with 1 single cell :)
Yohoki

Post by Yohoki » Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:35 am

Very good! I love the little flat headed ones that hug the walls! And with such a simple change in shape, you created an even better version. Great job!
Alast

Post by Alast » Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:55 am

Yeah, they do look fun, don't they! I guess with a slightly angled Flagellocyte the Flatheads (love that name) would perform better too.

Just tested. Of course, I had to ;) And yep, giving the Flatheads a tendency for circles increases their performancec a bit.
asperamanka

Post by asperamanka » Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:06 am

Hi there,

I solved the challange by modifying the protected swimmer already present in the game.
The new organism, I call it "combined swimmer", has basically three main states: an egg (E), the protected swimmer (pSW), and finally, a simple swimmer (SW).
Both, pSW and SW are very similar to the organisms already present and compete with them for the food.

It was a simple modification: the keratocyte in the middle of the pSW can split into a pre-form of the pSW and the SW.
Both, the pSW and the SW produce eggs that hatch into pSWs.
The SW reproduces much faster than the pSW and stays in the same region of the petri dish.
The pSW is slower but protected against the devorocytes.

In this way the combined swimmer can exploit regions with devorocytes but also regions without devorocytes in a fast way.

Here a sketch of the life cycle of the organism:
Taidef1972

Post by Taidef1972 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:17 am

Yohoki wrote:Well. What can I say.... I know random tid bits of random sciences. Jack of all trades, master of none. I just happened to know a real life example of the organism I created and how it functioned. XD science us weird sometimes. :p
Why did you mentioned that Jack of all trades, master of none here?
#30FirstTry(;

Post by #30FirstTry(; » Sat Oct 03, 2015 12:46 am

:lol: bruh I did it on my first try lol with only devoucites flagela phags and kerinatype (: no need for viruses lol
"
bwisialo

Post by bwisialo » Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:16 am

I already had a solution, but I thought I'd try an unusual and interesting strategy. I always thought Glueocytes with maximum nutrient priority could have good uses for killing off enemies. I worked on and fine tuned a genome that goes from an initial Glueocyte, to a swimmer, to a Keratinocyte swimmer, which spits out the original Glueocyte. Initially I doubts about this sort of genome even working. But, a bit to my surprise, the genome I developed completes the challenge extremely quickly.
amor fati