30 Tip the Balance

Here we remember old challenge discussions that got purged in the great forum cleanup of 2018.
Kanohuf

Re: 30 Tip the Balance

Post by Kanohuf » Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:53 am

Well... I found even easier way to win this. Even with just one, single cell inserted. You just have to wait until one of the species die by itself. For example if swimmers die, only karatino-swimmers should survive. Then you can kill it by re-inserting regular swimmers, or just lipido-swimmers. If keratino-swimmers die, you should be able to win this just with devoro-swimmers. In 5-10 minutes of incubation one or two species should die by itself. But I guess this is cheating ;-;
0 θ 8 This is how it begins...
Alast

Post by Alast » Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:46 am

No, I wouldn't call that cheating :) You're utilizing the characteristics of the substrate.
Perfection hasnt reached me yet, but its trying hard!
CandyYAHFT

Post by CandyYAHFT » Sat Dec 12, 2015 6:29 pm

mmm...
that's easy to solve, in that way,
however, I think the real challenge is to solve the challenge with a single cell inserted at the initial time, at least I solve it that way
PEACE & LOVE,
CANDY
Deep

Post by Deep » Thu May 19, 2016 3:49 pm

Hello, fellow scientists :)
I've solved this scenario by making dual organism. It has two different final forms, both of them are able to create embryons of both of them.
First cell grows into phago-keri-flagellocite.
Then, phago-head divides into new cell of the same cell as first one, but head changes to another type-it is also the phagocite, but this cell will give birth to baby-cell of new type: it will grow into devoro-keri-flagellocite.
The head that just divided will go back to the first one, that will birth the phago-keri-flagellocite.

Complicated? Ha :p

The devoro-keri-flagellocite acts the same. Two different heads, one will give birth to phago-keri-flagellocite, second one to devoro-keri-flagellocite.

Its hunting skills, granted by ability of moving, is superior over simple devorocite.
Then, after some time, phagots (xD) also gets outnumbered because of their inability to protect its own offspring.

How do you think about this solution? It works for tip the ballance 2 as well :)

Deep
bwisialo

Post by bwisialo » Thu May 19, 2016 4:58 pm

Cool solution! Fours heads are better than one ;)

I wonder if you could get an equally effective solution by having the Phagocyte head split into the initial cell and a Devorocyte head, which would split into the initial cell and the Phagocyte head. You could change that a bit and have the Phagocyte split into a Devorocyte seed cell -- which would give rise to same swimmer as the initial cell -- and a Devorocyte head. I'll have to try this part, even if it's not as quick to complete the challenge: using two heads this way, if the first swimmer produced from the seed cell(s) was the Devorocyte swimmer, the end result -- I think -- would be that the entire species dies and leaves the plate clean at the end. That would be pretty cool too!

Thanks for sharing. :)
amor fati
Alast

Post by Alast » Fri May 20, 2016 1:53 am

Yeah, definitely a cool solution, pretty elaborate. Adjusting it to leaving the plate clean at the end would be awesome :)
Perfection hasnt reached me yet, but its trying hard!
bwisialo

Post by bwisialo » Sat May 21, 2016 1:09 am

I managed to clean the plate! :D I used one of my solutions and gave it alternating Phagocyte and Devorocyte heads. It wasn't that close to working at first and then took a bit of tweaking.

edit/ It turns out that a two headed solution with the Phagocyte swimmer produced first needs to clean the plate in order to complete the challenge. This is how I ended up doing it.
amor fati
bwisialo

Post by bwisialo » Sat May 21, 2016 12:10 pm

Scratch that edit. A species with alternating Phagocyte / Devorocyte heads can complete the challenge without cleaning the plate. I just wasn't looking in that direction.
amor fati
bwisialo

Post by bwisialo » Fri May 27, 2016 9:46 pm

Here's what cleaning the plate looks like, starting from one inserted cell. :) The species I used plays off the different substrate species in interesting ways. It's partly parasitic, upon the swimmers in particular. Its development is slow at the beginning, as the swimmers go through a quick drop in population. But the substrate's Keratinocyte swimmers will get starved to death by the combination of my species and the swimmers. With population fluctuations similar to virus and victim, my species takes out the swimmers and dies out, after barely managing to survive on its own for a couple population waves.

https://youtu.be/2KOBgelJ1KA
amor fati
Reaper Elite
Location: In the Underworld eating bacon and watching anime with Marilyn Monroe

Post by Reaper Elite » Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:49 pm

Hey I have THE SOLUTION for this challenge that works 9/10 with right placement. I made it all blue
Works for I and II

M1 phago mk adhesin
Ch1 m2 flago
Ch2 m3 phago

M3 phago mk adhesin
Split angle 90° Ch2 angle 315°
Ch1 m4 phago
Ch2 m5 kerat

M4 phago mk adhsin
Split angle 90° ch1 angle 135° ch2 angle 90°
Ch1 m6 devor no split
Ch2 m7 phago