Geometric structures -- video and images

Post your creations here. It can be either a cool genome or an interesting ecosystem. Indicate if you designed it yourself or if it was created through evolution, or both :). File, picture, or video is required.
Jeffjolland1

Re: Geometric structures -- video and images

Post by Jeffjolland1 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:01 pm

It won't let me update so I can't have them in cell lab
A HAWK! Jeffery
bwisialo

Post by bwisialo » Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:49 pm

What happens when you download the genome from the first post? The Lipocytes are a bit different in the new beta version. Try changing the first few modes to Photocytes with split mass 1.53, and see if it works now. The new substrates are a bit different, but you can create one with default settings, no radiation, relatively low viscosity, and max light.
amor fati
bwisialo

Post by bwisialo » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:28 pm

There are many ways to depart from the square-within-square pattern and keep iterations of symmetry.

You can go rectangular (4096 cells)

Or, tilt the pattern components at an angle (4096 cells)

or tilt them with partial asymmetry: compare to the symmetry of the previous image (512 cells)

or go rectangular, at an angle, with partial asymmetry: it is a non-equilateral rhomboid, and the openings are a combination of squares and, in effect, diamonds / rhombuses (4 identical sides, but not square) -- 4096 cells

You can decompose the last pattern and recompose it back into a global square structure (4096 cells)

Set on an angle with partial asymmetry, a similar pattern can have a bit of an optical illusion effect: squares, diamonds, or rectangles? (4096 cells)
amor fati
bwisialo

Post by bwisialo » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:43 am

By angling the component squares differently than one another, you can produce a variety of structures / patterns.

Like this pinwheel / snowflake (2048 cells)

This gearwheel / two rings of 8 squares each (1024 cells)

And whatever you might call this pattern (2048 cells) ;)
amor fati
Jeffjolland1

Post by Jeffjolland1 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:47 pm

bwisialo wrote:What happens when you download the genome from the first post?
After I download it it won't open the genome in genome editor saying "I don't have the latest version,"so I can't edit it or put on the Petri dish
A HAWK! Jeffery
bwisialo

Post by bwisialo » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:25 am

Oh, I see. It's a very easy genome to create.

Modes 1 - 10: Photocytes with Split mass 1.53
Mode 11: Lipocyte that doesn't split

Mode 1: Split angle 0 (default)
even numbered modes: Split angle 90
odd numbered modes: Split angle 45
amor fati
Petter
Site Admin

Post by Petter » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:33 am

Wow! Really impressive work! didn't know this was possible, so many variations. Thanks for uploading all the pictures :)
Alast

Post by Alast » Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:53 pm

Ok, I admit, I'm a little jumping onto your rolling train ;) But I've noticed that your genome uses a sequence of cell modes and doesn't repeat them. I thought that could be made more interesting, so I created something similar that goes through a loop of only 4 modes:

And with a slight tweak and only 512 cells:

Perfection hasnt reached me yet, but its trying hard!
bwisialo

Post by bwisialo » Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:15 pm

Very cool structures! :) Actually, most of mine do loop and use two or three modes. ;) I didn't update the linked genome when I figured it out. But yes, add a mode and all sorts of new shapes are possible. There's basically no end to the patterns you can create like this. I started doing a few patterns that combine octogons with the sorts of things already posted, but none like the ones you posted. I shifted to the Dragon curve and trying to create the "torn square fractal." I hope you post some more of this stuff, because you'll certainly come up with things I wouldn't ;)

PS - The Dragon curve is only 2 modes. Which makes sense given the way it's constructed mathematically. But ztill, that's crazy!

I have quite a few dragon-ish patterns in square and circular formation. I'll post some on the other thread.
amor fati
Jeffjolland1

Post by Jeffjolland1 » Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:57 pm

What about the child modes?
A HAWK! Jeffery