Torn square fractal

Post your creations here. It can be either a cool genome or an interesting ecosystem. Indicate if you designed it yourself or if it was created through evolution, or both :). File, picture, or video is required.
bwisialo

Torn square fractal

Post by bwisialo » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:24 am

I had all but given up on this one, then the next thing I tried produced a variation on a torn square fractal :) Here are traditional versions of the torn square fractal:

4096 cells
amor fati
bwisialo

Re: Torn square fractal

Post by bwisialo » Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:12 pm

Here's a nice pattern I created while developing the torn square. It's two-tone but, unfortunately, you can't see it at this magnification. 4096 cells

Here's a close up of the bottom right

Black and white allows you to see some interesting patterns

Here's the same pattern, but with the components attached asymmetrically -- which makes the whole thing a bit crazy ;)
amor fati
bwisialo

Post by bwisialo » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:18 pm

Here's the genome for the torn square. I'd like to get the opening in the center to run vertically as well as horizontally, but haven't managed to do it yet.

You'll have to create a substrate with the cell limit where you want the genome to stop. You'll have to adjust viscosity: eg, start low, then none, then very low.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/71xdkf1knjw7w ... enome?dl=0
amor fati
bwisialo

Post by bwisialo » Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:55 am

This is a partial step in the right direction. The center is open, but now I've lost the side tears I had before. It' pretty cool though...

Here's four of them put together to make a fancy pattern:

Four of the original torn square I posted also creates an interesting pattern:

amor fati
bwisialo

Post by bwisialo » Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:24 pm

In terms of creating a pattern similar to the traditional torn square, this variation is a bit better -- but I think I like the variation in the first post more ;)

amor fati
bwisialo

Post by bwisialo » Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:47 pm

I created a slightly different and relatively good variation on the traditional torn square.
amor fati