Smart Predator, Smart Prey - Video

Post your creations here. It can be either a cool genome or an interesting ecosystem. Indicate if you designed it yourself or if it was created through evolution, or both :). File, picture, or video is required.
CandyYAHFT

Re: Smart Predator, Smart Prey - Video

Post by CandyYAHFT » Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:49 pm

NEXT STEP
smart crawler prey, smart predator crawler, without nitrates, too hard to make
PEACE & LOVE,
CANDY
Alast

Post by Alast » Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:56 am

I'm 16k h in and so far mutations have been pretty minor to the Predator. Only the Devorocyte in the front has slightly changed its color. Everything else looks rather as it was at the beginning. The color change might have been beneficial as the Prey will have a slightly lower flight reflex. But I can't really imagine that as the other cells still trigger the flight. It's the only explanation I have though. Unless at a moment of very low Predator count the one with the color changed Devorocyte has been in a better position to reproduce faster as more Prey was nearby. But that's all just a guess.

For the Prey things look a little bit different. One Flagellocyte now has a lower Nutrient Priority than the other. The one with the higher priority has a stronger signal reaction. Not sure what that asymmetry might be good for.

I have increased radiation now, to see how the substrate handles that.
Perfection hasnt reached me yet, but its trying hard!
bwisialo

Post by bwisialo » Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:06 pm

Yeah, this scenario leaves a narrow range for viable variation. Evolutionary change is very slow.

The asymmetry probably works a bit like asymmetry works for mine. You can put the old predator with the new prey and see if you notice anything.

At 20k, the prey's larger Flagellocyte was a darker blue. I'm not sure which came first: size / Nutrient priority change or color change. By 20k, the predator was reproducing a bit more quickly than before. By 30k, the prey was reproducing a bit more quickly. At 50k, the prey has a darker blue head, and the predator's smaller Flagellocyte is a dark green.

I haven't investigated all settings and their relationships extensively.
amor fati
bwisialo

Post by bwisialo » Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:33 pm

A few 1000 hes later the prey's darker blues are weaking the predator's signal: the green setting has gone from 100 to below 50. If the prey zigs, the predator keeps going straight. Clumped predators have a harder time breaking free. I'm curious to see if the predator's Stereocyte will adjust with a color shift or a threshold shift.
amor fati
bwisialo

Post by bwisialo » Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:18 am

Sweet!!! By 65k, the predator's Stereocyte color-detection settings have a lower value for green than before, in keeping with with prey's color change. :D
amor fati
Alast

Post by Alast » Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:12 am

That's exactly what I was expecting at some point :) Awesome you got to witness that!
Perfection hasnt reached me yet, but its trying hard!
bwisialo

Post by bwisialo » Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:51 pm

For the past 10s of 1000s of hrs, the central dynamic of evolutionary changes has revolved around color. The prey have a big advantage. In general, the prey are more likely to change – whatever the change may be -- because they are much more prolific. But the prey can change cell color any which way (endless possibilities) and get some benefits, whereas changes to the predator's Stereocyte have to get the color right (extremely few possibilities). I'm usually sympathetic to prey in nature, but these experiments have shown me that it takes so much more work to be a predatory. Herbivores have it easy -- their food doesn't run. ;)

I was hoping to see a random change in the predator's color at some point, but haven't. The result of that would be a massive death toll :twisted: and very possibly extinction, either catching every last prey or overhunting and then starving. With the prey's color changes, however, equilibrium is pretty stable, with just a small number of predators going around.

At 70,000 hr, I increased radiation based on this stability. After a couple thousand hours, the predator had an extremely deadly population spike, I think because the prey had simply become insanely numerous. The prey bounced back of course, and the predators survived as well, but thanks to the increased radiation here are the color variations I found among the prey when they repopulated the plate :)

Seriously?!

So, I decided to make an experimental intervention to see what evolutionary developments would occur if color played a smaller role. I went back to the 70,000hr substrate, turned off radiation, and ran it until there was only one predator genome and one prey genome on the plate. I reset the prey's cells to their original color, and increased the predator's threshhold for color detection. Changes beyond this color range will hopefully be very infrequent at low radiation.

Time to start things back up. :)
amor fati