Smart Predator, Smart Prey - Video

Post your creations here. It can be either a cool genome or an interesting ecosystem. Indicate if you designed it yourself or if it was created through evolution, or both :). File, picture, or video is required.
bwisialo

Re: Smart Predator, Smart Prey - Video

Post by bwisialo » Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:38 pm

Placement can play role in priorities. If you want a stronger flight signal when a predator is behind you, you can put the color-detector in the rear. Though -- similar to having two flight Stereos -- you can probably get more or less he same result by fine-tuning Output. So, you have different options.
amor fati
bwisialo

Post by bwisialo » Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:50 pm

On efficiency: I just did an experiment. I have a 1-Flagellocyte Myocite swimmer that reaches 800 on Scarce Conditions. I put three initial cells on the substrate, and I put one initial cell of the smart prey, even though the smart prey has a color detector that isn't even necessary -- that is, a 4-cell, 2-Flagellecyte swimmer is much more efficient than the 5-cell smart prey. The smart prey eventually starved off the Myocite swimmer.
amor fati
CandyYAHFT

Post by CandyYAHFT » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:50 pm

Did you ever tried to make something like the 2 flagellocyte swimmer, but with 2 myocytes in high dynamic friction conditions?
I'm trying, but I'm thinking that the design has too be way different.
Btw, how do you make a substrate similar to scarce conditions? Or to that in Predator? Because I can't.
PEACE & LOVE,
CANDY
bwisialo

Post by bwisialo » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:07 pm

Two Myocites: No.

Scarce substrate: try something like this

Concentration 5-10%
Size: 10-15%
Salinity: max
amor fati
M9sYK

Post by M9sYK » Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:04 am

I tried to replicate it the best I could because I couldn't find a download of yours. I made the prey Orange so there is more Contrast of the colors, also If I make the Prey the same speed as the predator, the predators all starve to death so I made the prey go slower.

here is my substrate :)

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BxyXq ... Xg4TnRMMzA
bwisialo

Post by bwisialo » Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:29 am

There are various ways to achieve long term or indefinite equilibrium. I think a large substrate like yours is key in the case of these sorts of species.

I ran your substrate twice and the predator overhunted and died both times -- once after the predator's first population boom, and once after the second boom. My two species had the same result on this substrate.

Yes, my predator and prey are both faster than yours. The dynamic is different in interesting ways. My predator population grows more slowly -- the chase tends to be longer and predators burn up energy. My prey repopulate hunted portions of the dish more quickly. But overhuntunting is the result in both cases on this substrate.

My species would have a longer equilibrium on a substrate with less nutrients. The result of more nutrients ends up being too much food for the predator. Ideally, the predator population wouldn't grow very large, the prey's wouldn't decrease so much. Huge ebbs and flows in population are likely to give way and result in extinction. Fewer nutrients may help your equilibrium as well.

Predator-prey dynamics are really interesting, and trying to create equilibrium is a great experiment. :) Thanks for sharing.
amor fati
M9sYK

Post by M9sYK » Sat Apr 16, 2016 4:59 am

Oops, I didn't look that far into the simulation, here's one that at least lasted for 900 hours :D

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BwGgR ... lM1RzEydDA
M9sYK

Post by M9sYK » Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:16 am

If you lower the flageocyte speed,
this can complete the predator challenge, and can rarely clear the plate, but It happens sometimes if it gets really lucky:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BwGgR ... 1p0dS1Qdms

and this can complete Scarce conditions III:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BwGgR ... UZPQTlHZm8

:)
bwisialo

Post by bwisialo » Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:14 am

That’s a much better balance ;) Nice work! Particularly getting the predator population under control. Nice solutions / species well.

I ran the substrate and the predators died in 325 hr (1225 on the timer), from slightly inefficient hunting. I assume you said at least 900hr because that is what you ran it to. Is that correct? Didn't you have to let the prey population grow without the predator for a chunk of that time?

It's tough to say what counts as having "equilibrium." I'd say something like 2000 hr starting from the introduction of the predator to a plate of prey (2000 is what's used for Keep the Balance). And it should reach 2000 on at least 20% of runs, simply to eliminate outlier results. This is partly arbitrary, but it's a good start for predator / prey on a scarce substrate.
amor fati
bwisialo

Post by bwisialo » Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:03 am

Our species are fairly similar, so you might try the substrate below and adjust it for your species. I had a good balance that lasted 3900hr from the time of inserting the predator. :)

The predator population usually stayed between 5 and 15. The total cell count of both species usually stayed between 750-1050 cells.

The predator population got too high on one occasion but was more at risk of just dwindling to 0, which is ultimately what happened. When there were less than 5, like 1 or 2, they often had a hard time getting their numbers back up.

To make prey more available for predators, I probably need to increase concentration, decrease chunk size, while keep the total nutrients the same -- because I don't want to decrease the distribution of prey and I don't want the overall population to increase. In an earlier version, concentration was too low and there were too many places on the plate with no prey. With the substrate below, I got a good distribution of prey.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mg23ywg7vssdp ... trate?dl=0
amor fati