Smart Predator, Smart Prey - Video

Post your creations here. It can be either a cool genome or an interesting ecosystem. Indicate if you designed it yourself or if it was created through evolution, or both :). File, picture, or video is required.
bwisialo

Re: Smart Predator, Smart Prey - Video

Post by bwisialo » Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:37 pm

I established a fairly stable equilibrium. :) I turned on radiation and the two species have been evolving together for... 30,000 hr. :D
amor fati
bwisialo

Post by bwisialo » Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:16 pm

By 20,000 hr, the species developed an interesting charcteristic: the right Flagellocyte in each species has a higher Nutrient priority than the left. They've kept this adaption to 30,000 hr. The signal settings and Flagellocyte settings for both species are unchanged.

In the prey, the right one has a significantly higher priority. Its zig-zag flight seems more pronounced, a bit more likely to keep the predator at bay or throw it off. And the exaggerated flight movements may make it less susceptible to momentary interference from the food signal. The original predator has very little success catching the evolved prey in a one-on-one chase, though it otherwise does fine killing them in general.

The predator's right Flagellocyte has an only slightly higher priority. The predator actually seems to chase in a slightly more straight line -- perhaps because the Flagellocyte compensates for slight right turns without the signal going into action to create a sharper right turn. It may also be the case that, on average, the left Flagellocyte receives slightly stronger signal than it does in the original predator: if the right one is creating a slight but consistent rightward movement, it may by continuously compensated for by a shift in signal strength. I'm not entirely sure what's happening there, but the evolved predator has a much easier time than the original predator in catching the original prey -- as well as the evolved prey -- in a one-on-one chase, even when there is no or minimal food interference.

Interesting stuff! :) I'll have to investigate a bit more, and also continue to evolve them.
amor fati
Alast

Post by Alast » Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:26 pm

Sounds very interesting. I might start my own experiment and see what I get :-)
Perfection hasnt reached me yet, but its trying hard!
Alast

Post by Alast » Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:41 pm

Hehe, I think I've just found a way to optimize the Predator basic design. But I'm not telling yet how. Want to run it some more to make sure. Wasn't Evolution though but Intelligent Design :-D Now Iäm letting Darwin do his job for a while lol
bwisialo

Post by bwisialo » Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:09 pm

Two Devorocytes instead of one?

I'm up to 40,000. Time to turn up the radiation. ;)
amor fati
Alast

Post by Alast » Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:35 am

My Predator doesn't seem to survive the slightest radiation after a while... Guess I need to do some adjustments for that. Without radiation it seems to do fine.

The tweak I made was putting the Stereocyte in the front and the Keratinocyte in the back. That way still all cells are protected that need protection but now even the seeds are save, too. And with the Stereo in the center the aim should be a little bit improved as well, which actually was my first thought why to do that :-)

I also gave the Prey a little tweak. I placed the Flagellocytes directly connected to both Stereocytes. That way the flight Stereo can provide its signal much more directly to the Flagellocytes allowing for faster and more precise flight reactions.
bwisialo

Post by bwisialo » Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:20 am

Were you losing many prddator eggs to Devorocytes?

I'm curious as to whether benefits from moving the predator's Stereocyte are noticeable. Both of my prey's Stereos are attached. Detaching the food one could be another option to limit interference.

Some species in some environments admit of very little random changes to settings. Like complex crawlers: eg, increase the Nutrient priority of a front cell and it changes the weight being lifted and pushed, the size and force of the Myo that will now be a bit smaller, the rate of egg production in the back, etc.. If you don't make corresponding changes across the organism, a random change to one cell usually isn't very viable.

A predator should be a bit simpler, but it depends on the environment. With a stable eqilibrium, I've been running radiation just a couple little steps above 0. I wasn't able to increase it like I said I was. The predators die. Such a small population can entirely undermined if just a few swimmers undergo counterproductive changes.

I'm suprised you can't use any radiation at all. You should be able to create an environment that will give the predatory leeway to have some random changes.
amor fati
Alast

Post by Alast » Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:38 am

Yeah, not sure what happened. Had a substrate that seemed ok for 3k h, then let it evolve over night, when I woke up and looked, all predators were gone. Maybe I just need to try even less radiation.

I've had another idea though ;) Trying out right now. If it works I will post it here.

And regarding the the predator seeds, no I don't think I was loosing them much to devorocytes. As I said that wasn't even my first thought why the Stereo in the center might be beneficial. I was more thinking about better targeting.
Alast

Post by Alast » Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:32 pm

Hm, didn't work. I thought it might be possible to have 2 pairs of Predator and Prey in one substrate. One pair died out though...
Alast

Post by Alast » Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:14 pm

But interestingly that second pair seems stable and can handle a few ticks of radiation. At least so far, we'll see ;)