X-swimmers

Post your creations here. It can be either a cool genome or an interesting ecosystem. Indicate if you designed it yourself or if it was created through evolution, or both :). File, picture, or video is required.
wapcaplet

X-swimmers

Post by wapcaplet » Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:34 am

A quick idea for a two-stereocyte smart swimmer ended up turning into the most complex organism I've made yet, using all 20 modes for the first time!

Despite that, it's a pretty straightforward design--two stereocytes (for left/right and up/down) and four opposing flagellums with if-abc logic. Here was the first working draft:
sterile-x-swimmer.png
sterile-x-swimmer.png (8.75 KiB) Viewed 3078 times
wapcaplet-sterile-X-swimmers.substrate

It dances around the plate quite gracefully. Unfortunately, it cannot reproduce, and there's no obvious place for a new egg to grow, so my next version has a row of cells up the middle, with room for the lipocyte that reaches critical mass before making an egg. The final organism with reproductive capability:
x-swimmer.png
x-swimmer.png (7.7 KiB) Viewed 3078 times
wapcaplet-X-swimmers.substrate

For some odd reason, one of the flagellocytes (the upper green one in the screenshot) wasn't working when the blue stereocyte was in its original position--no lipocyte was blocking it, and it had good adhesion connections, plus both blue flagellos worked fine, so maybe it had something to do with the cell split order (green side reaches maturity first). Anyway, simply moving the stereocyte to the green side fixed it. I'm kind of amazed I got the full organism to develop from an egg without much difficulty. Then again, I have salinity cranked way up to make life easier :-)

The biggest con I see with this design is getting stuck on the wall, especially with the sterile swimmer. The fertile version has less of an issue with it, thanks in part to the extra phagocytes, but due to its large size and protrusions, they tend to tangle against each other (especially with new offspring).

I might be getting the hang of this game! This was a fun build; I hope you enjoy it.
Nayus

Re: X-swimmers

Post by Nayus » Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:13 am

This is the kind of Onmidirectional behavior I had in mind while working with my own but I wasn't geting a good result. You have worked up the flagellocyte position :) Works good!

I don't understand why you made it reproduce only once. It is a design choice?

I'm sure there's a way to lower the necesary cells because 4 phagocytes seem like alot. Also they spend alot of energy too so that's why you need the high salinity (Btw I'm no one to question high salinity, 90% of my organisms need that)
bwisialo

Post by bwisialo » Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:22 am

I created one like this, but for extreme an environment -- zero viscosity. The simple X can reproduce via one of the Stereocytes.

https://youtu.be/VW64FLnA3Lo

At the time I thought it would be too difficult for it to get in proximity to enough food at typical viscosity levels, but I using very scarce nutrient settings (like Scarce III), and I see ways now to sacrifice some energy use to move around more and still be efficient. Perhaps I'll go back at take a look it. ;)

I haven't checked yours out yet, but it's definitely a design that's intriguing. :)
amor fati
wapcaplet

Post by wapcaplet » Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:55 pm

Nayus wrote:I don't understand why you made it reproduce only once. It is a design choice?
Really? I am seeing more than one offspring, though they take a long time to collect enough nutrients, and sometimes die of old age before they can produce more than 1 or 2. Honestly I didn't spend much time on it--as soon as I got reproduction to work, I called it done, so I'm sure there is plenty of room for optimization.

Lately I haven't fussed much about salinity, especially if I'm just trying out a new design to see if it works, so it's one of the first things I increase when starting out. The default level just makes it that much harder to experiment. Plus, it allows having a much lower nutrient density, so it's easier to see whether they're effectively seeking food, or just getting it at random.
bwisialo wrote:I created one like this, but for extreme an environment -- zero viscosity. The simple X can reproduce via one of the Stereocytes.
Ooh, very nice! Their flagella barely move at all, but they seem to work well. I'll have to try that approach to egg spawning; it would definitely simplify things.
Nayus

Post by Nayus » Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:54 pm

The egg's split mass it's too high for what the organism needs. You end up gathering way more nutrients that you need. The first thing I'd do is decrease that until you get to the spot were the reproduction is fast enough but the offspring is big enough to fully reproduce.
wapcaplet

Post by wapcaplet » Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:02 am

You are right, it was way too high. I was able to lower M20's split mass to less than half what it was, and even lowered M1 a bit too. This leads to a much more prolific organism.

Out of curiosity, I also tried some slightly lower nutrient and salinity settings. They can be decreased a little, but not much before pieces of them start dying. They are still surprisingly effective even after 1 flagello dies, and I even saw one barely clinging on with 2 flagellos still produce an offspring before giving out :D
Botcell

Post by Botcell » Sat Dec 24, 2016 5:30 am

I did right now create something like this but a bit more compact but it takes a while for it get to its food source.
It has its own "brain" so it has a right and left hemisphere but it needs more nutrients when it's developing and is relatively slow in making a full 360 but it can get food in a 180 in front of it easily.
"Oh hey do you see that?"
"Yeah it's getting bigger"
"Wait I think tha-"
*Slams into substrate wall*