Nursing Photo-Swimmers

Post your creations here. It can be either a cool genome or an interesting ecosystem. Indicate if you designed it yourself or if it was created through evolution, or both :). File, picture, or video is required.
wapcaplet

Nursing Photo-Swimmers

Post by wapcaplet » Sat Dec 24, 2016 5:10 am

This is a swimmer that lays a lot of eggs which don't have enough nutrients to grow into adults. Normally, we would prefer to use an attached lipocyte egg that collects all the nutrients it needs before splitting--it seems our most effective organisms usually give "live birth" in this way, since it gives the offspring the best chance of survival.

Instead, this swimmer lays gluocyte eggs, then seeks them out to feed them enough nutrients to hatch into young. The young do not have a stereocyte, and so just swim in a straight line (usually into the edge of the substrate) until they collect enough light via their tiny photocyte to grow into adults. The young also have a keratinocyte head to (mostly) prevent them from accidentally feeding the gluocyte eggs.

This strategy is totally unnecessary on a substrate with a free energy source (light). I could see it being more useful in a scenario with phagocytes and nutrients, and/or in a case where a large organism requires too many nutrients for the live birth method. I tried to keep light and salinity levels as low as I could get them while maintaining viability.

Substrate with two initial cells: wapcaplet-nursing-swimmers.substrate

Enjoy!
bwisialo

Re: Nursing Photo-Swimmers

Post by bwisialo » Sat Dec 24, 2016 6:55 am

That's an interesting idea. You could also create a smart swimmer that, for example, gets food, avoids the eggs, produces two eggs, then seeks out the eggs.
amor fati
Alast

Re: Nursing Photo-Swimmers

Post by Alast » Sat Dec 24, 2016 2:04 pm

That's a fun premise :-) I could also see it applied in different ways. Like having "males" and "females" with the females laying eggs and the males seeking them having a Glueocyte to give the energy the egg needs.

Cool substrate!
Perfection hasnt reached me yet, but its trying hard!