Honey, plus bees

Post your creations here. It can be either a cool genome or an interesting ecosystem. Indicate if you designed it yourself or if it was created through evolution, or both :). File, picture, or video is required.
wapcaplet

Honey, plus bees

Post by wapcaplet » Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:19 am

Researching the use of a lipocyte split to change behavior, I spent longer than I care to admit building this awesome bee that makes magical honey which makes more bees. On this substrate, one bee is usually enough to get it started, but here are 3 to start with: wapcaplet-honey-3-inserted.substrate. Or jump in at around 800 hours with wapcaplet-honey-800h.substrate.

M1 is the swimmer, M20 is the magical honey. Switch initial cell to M20 if you want to add honey, or just incubate the starting cells about 100h for a swimmer to make some.

Pictures!

Bees begin their life in food-seeking form. They are plain black until they get enough food for their abdomen to split. Their tail turns yellow, and they start looking for golden-colored honey cells.
honey-phase-2.png
Second stage swimmer
honey-phase-2.png (8.82 KiB) Viewed 2572 times
If they don't find any honey, after a while they will get enough nutrients and make some honey that they drag around for a while until it has enough nutrients to make new bees. It detaches from their tail when the first white egg pops out that side. With any luck, the mother bee survives with its honey-sensor intact, and can grab a few more nutrients before feeding herself to the honey.
honey-phase-3.png
Swimmer making honey
honey-phase-3.png (9.8 KiB) Viewed 2572 times
Mature bees that do find honey just swim all the way into it, past their elbows and all the way through the yellow tail if they're lucky. The magic honey makes more bees, of course ideally more bees than it absorbed.
honey-reproduction.png
Swimmers feeding the honey
honey-reproduction.png (13.95 KiB) Viewed 2572 times
As ever, there is room for improvement. I haven't used evolution at all (yet); this is designer-only. Too many juicy yellow and white lipocytes sit around without adding to the honey, and too many young and hopeful bees are mutilated by accidental contact with the honey before they're ready to properly feed it. Honey stuck side-to-side with other honey can still easily produce 4 viable eggs, but loses half its gluocyte surface area for absorbing cells. Eventually the honey gets too big and goopy to maintain an effective rate of absorption/hatching. I have a couple spare modes, so I might have a look at a devoro/keratino bridge to the honey lipos. They'd eat faster and wouldn't stick together, but then it wouldn't really be honey-like.

(o)
Megathosto14

Re: Honey, plus bees

Post by Megathosto14 » Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:20 am

I love this theory of drone/queen. It's awesome, like the nature. But i dislike the fact that their collected honey in their 'tail' wasted. Maybe you should put it in the center. And maybe the white cell egg split mass should be lowered. Just my opinion. Anyways it's an awesome genome.

Here is mine.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/auh24zkibgk70 ... trate?dl=0

Feel free to comment mine. Maybe there is some space for improvement for both of us.
Killing one makes one a sinner.
Killing hundreds makes one a hero.
Killing thousands makes one a king.
Killing millions makes one an emperor.
wapcaplet

Post by wapcaplet » Mon Dec 26, 2016 3:48 pm

Megathosto14 wrote:But i dislike the fact that their collected honey in their 'tail' wasted. Maybe you should put it in the center.
Yeah, in the head would be ideal so it gets fed first, but swimmers seem to do poorly with a lot of weight in the front. In the middle I wonder if it would interrupt the S1 signal from stereos to flagellos. The yellow cell in my current version has the lowest nutrient priority, to keep all black cells viable until they find honey, or make new honey. Maybe I could reduce that even more, so it drains faster into the black cells as they're being consumed by the honey...
Megathosto14 wrote:And maybe the white cell egg split mass should be lowered.
Agreed. Reducing M1 split mass is an ongoing goal. Lowering it too much results in a bee that doesn't survive long, because parts of it die (usually one of the flagellocytes). These "half-dead" bees remain on the substrate for quite a while, sometimes going unused by the honey. Even with a missing flagellocyte, they will still seek food or honey on one side, and may get lucky.
Megathosto14 wrote:Feel free to comment mine. Maybe there is some space for improvement for both of us.
Very nice! I ran it for 1,000h and saw a population over a thousand, which is great considering how little food there is. I enjoy how the mature crawlers (with both stereocytes) lift and turn their heads to find food, and your queen is as simple as it can get. Your lipos have impressively low split mass :D I see a lot of dead black cells not getting consumed, but with a high friction substrate I don't know what could be done about that. I will be studying this one more for sure, thanks for sharing.
Nayus

Post by Nayus » Mon Dec 26, 2016 5:35 pm

Very Cook Droner!

I really like the design of the bee :) I think putting the Lipocyte in the middle would temper with the sensors.

Also in one of my simulations the species died :/ so I'd advice an improvement in the Queen bee. Maybe the egg could have a lower split mass so overtime it'd create more bees. Anyway cool organism :)
wapcaplet

Post by wapcaplet » Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:01 am

My bees now have their nutrient lipocyte in the front, and I've reconfigured the honey into a kind of honeycomb (white gluocytes on one side, gold honey/eggs on the other). This works quite well:

wapcaplet-honeycomb-1-cell.substrate
honeycomb.png
honeycomb.png (9.73 KiB) Viewed 2530 times
A bee in the lower left is making new honeycomb, and it's being fed directly from the bee's orange lipocyte head. With full nutrients in the mother's path, this bit of new honeycomb will usually spit out 2 or 3 viable offspring (and sometimes 1 or 2 non-viable ones) before the mother dies.

At the top is two or three chunks of honeycomb that got stuck together. I tried keratinocyte separators in a bunch of different configurations, which helped the honeycomb look straighter, but didn't do much for the stickiness problem. Eventually the problem is maintaining large honeycomb mass. With only 1 or 2 gluo/lipo sets, it can birth bees rather quickly while feeding (and even for several seconds afterward thanks to nutrient balance to eggs). But with 3 or 4 sets (6-8 cells in the honeycomb), it takes a big burst of incoming nutrient to make any new eggs hatch, since the nutrients are so quickly spread to all the attached lipos.

Anyhow I think I've had enough fiddling with this one. Feel free to make and share mods.

(o)
bwisialo

Post by bwisialo » Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:40 am

Nice variation on the queen-drone model. :) Are its mechanics significantly different than the other models, with drones attracted by color to a queen (here: honey) that absorbs mass via Glueocyte or Devorocyte and produces egg cells? Seems very similar to me, but I wanted to get your take.

As with some other models posted, nutrients are so high that no smarts are required for food: you can change the food Stereocyte to a Phagocyte and the species does fine. That's fine for experimenting, but it seems less than ideal when designing a smart species: making smarts necessary would be the next logical step. ;)
amor fati
wapcaplet

Post by wapcaplet » Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:56 pm

bwisialo wrote:Are its mechanics significantly different than the other models(,,,)?
Not really; it's pretty basic. I guess what's new is me figuring out how to design it all from scratch! :D Of course I was influenced and inspired by other creations that have been posted here. The two-split "kite" swimmer model is definitely one of my favorites. With the honeycomb, I was hoping to eventually get something larger, more rigid and rectangular--mature bees feeding into one side, young ones birthed out the other side, so the sticky white cells could be well separated from young bees. But yeah, it's really just drone/queen with golden eggs.
bwisialo wrote:making smarts necessary would be the next logical step
Good point, the substrate is quite littered with food. The "smarts" my bees have only really helps when they're in an area that was recently cleaned of most food; otherwise they just need to move around a bit to find enough. I may work on this more later, but am kind of burnt out on this organism for now. 8-)