Centipedes

Post your creations here. It can be either a cool genome or an interesting ecosystem. Indicate if you designed it yourself or if it was created through evolution, or both :). File, picture, or video is required.
wapcaplet

Centipedes

Post by wapcaplet » Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:18 am

These guys are fun to play around with: wapcaplet-centipedes.substrate
centipedes-1.png
centipedes-1.png (13.99 KiB) Viewed 1086 times
centipedes-2.png
centipedes-2.png (9.91 KiB) Viewed 1086 times
Their design was inspired by Bwisialo's smart serpent, but I was looking for something a little more centipede-like. The substrate has a few different species with slight tweaks to various settings, particularly flagello orientation and force. Sweeping lateral movement (with flagellos at 15-30 degrees) can wipe a large area of substrate in very short time, leading to extremely long centipedes which eventually split into multiple pieces. Those with more forward movement (45-60 degree flagellos) have better speed and maneuverability, but tend to follow in their own footsteps and miss out on food to their sides.

I love their snaky movements. Some of them remind me of dragons, and when they're only 4 to 8 segments long they kind of look like trilobites (especially the cyan ones on this substrate). I have seen them crawl right through each other when they get cornered! Pretty resilient critters, and only 7 modes needed.

(o)