Cross Breed

Post your creations here. It can be either a cool genome or an interesting ecosystem. Indicate if you designed it yourself or if it was created through evolution, or both :). File, picture, or video is required.
wapcaplet

Cross Breed

Post by wapcaplet » Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:00 am

I have been obsessed with this idea since yesterday, and actually managed to pull it off. Two mutually dependent organisms (red and blue), each with males and females, which are co-dependent on cross-breeding.

Four initial cells (which results in 2 males and 2 females of each color): wapcaplet-cross-breed.substrate
cross-breed.png
Red and Blue were designed to be virtually identical in all cell settings and behavior, the only difference between them being their color.

Males seek food until their white phagocyte saturates, then they drop their stereocyte and single-mindedly pursue pink cells.

Females seek food and produce a stemocyte egg. Their pink sensocytes detect red and blue to "fertilize" the egg and determine its gender:
  • Red female + Red male = Red female
  • Red female + Blue male = Red male
  • Blue female + Blue male = Blue female
  • Blue female + Red male = Blue male
Each species depends on the other to help it produce males. Since all males are attracted to pink, they will fertilize indiscriminately. It's possible for queens to "fertilize" each other (they do not actively avoid each other) but I tried to keep sensitivity low enough to minimize "accidents" :D
wapcaplet

Re: Cross Breed

Post by wapcaplet » Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:46 am

I worked on developing this further today. I simplified the queen by eliminating both color sensors, and instead made the males emit S3/S4 directly. The threshold is low enough that the males must touch their secrocyte to the pink cell, or it won't trigger. This also prohibits female-female fertilization.

Starting substrate with one cell of each species

Here a blue male has just fertilized a blue female. The red female on the right has an unfertilized egg (bright pink):
cross-breed-fertilization.png
cross-breed-fertilization.png (5.97 KiB) Viewed 2017 times
Males no longer bother looking for food; they begin life seeking pink eggs, with a secrocyte that can fertilize females. One of their tails is slightly angled so they generally swim in a large circle if no fertile females are around. They survive for a few generations, but not many males are produced. By 400-500h, the substrate is just females and a bunch of un-hatched eggs:
cross-breed-unfertilized-females.png
cross-breed-unfertilized-females.png (10.04 KiB) Viewed 2017 times
By 600-700h, they all die. I have fiddled with split masses and nutrient priorities, and a bunch of alternate male anatomies, but so far it's about best I've come up with. I've kept the substrate more or less the same, since it has proven to be a good baseline while designing--maybe I just need to make the substrate friendlier, or larger/smaller, to have long-term success.

Thoughts/advice?
bwisialo

Post by bwisialo » Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:40 am

In terms of advice, what sort of results are you aiming for?

I have a number of mating species I could share via PM if that would help.
amor fati
wapcaplet

Post by wapcaplet » Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:08 am

My goal is a sustainable balance, with both species and genders surviving indefinitely (more than 600h at least would be nice, ha!)

The "not enough males" problem is the most obvious issue. The male swimmers certainly take in enough nutrients that they could hatch into more males--that would be a simple tweak that could lead to some fun results--but it seems like a cheat. Perhaps even just a nudge to the S3/S4 sense (so fertilization could happen at slightly longer range) would increase population sufficiently... I'll try some stuff.

Meanwhile, I would love to see your genomes :-) PM please.
bwisialo

Post by bwisialo » Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:12 am

How many modes does each species use?
amor fati
wapcaplet

Post by wapcaplet » Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:54 pm

They almost use the full genome, lessee:
  • Male: 1-( 2-(6, 7), 3-(5, 18-(19, 9)) )
  • Female: 10-( 11-(5, 13-(4, 7)), 12-(6, 15-(17-(17, 16), 7)) )
  • Seed: 20-(1, 10)
Male/female share M5, M6, and M7. Only M8 and M14 are unused.

For kicks, I briefly tried the "males reproduce more males" strategy. It resulted in a lot more males at first, but both species still went extinct before 600h.