Norwegian Blue

Post your creations here. It can be either a cool genome or an interesting ecosystem. Indicate if you designed it yourself or if it was created through evolution, or both :). File, picture, or video is required.
wapcaplet

Norwegian Blue

Post by wapcaplet » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:53 pm

Owner: Oh yes, the, uh, the Norwegian Blue...What's, uh...What's wrong with it?
Mr. Praline: I'll tell you what's wrong with it, my lad. 'E's dead, that's what's wrong with it!
Owner: No, no, 'e's uh,... he's resting.

Unlike the parrot in the Monty Python sketch, these Norwegian Blues are very much alive. It may look like they're dead, but really, they're just resting.

norwegian-blues.substrate

These are your basic myocyte-steering smart swimmer, with a senseocyte in their tail that detects nearby food. If food is near, they will move:
norwegian-blue-feeding.png
norwegian-blue-feeding.png (8.11 KiB) Viewed 3100 times
But when all the food in the immediate vicinity runs out, they take a break, and wait for more food to appear:
norwegian-blue-resting.png
norwegian-blue-resting.png (6.63 KiB) Viewed 3100 times
They are partly designed, and partly evolved. I tweaked the original design until they could sustain 200-300 cells on this substrate, then let them evolve overnight with very low radiation. The result looked and behaved very much like the original, but was significantly more efficient, reaching the maximum of 1000 cells. I'm not sure exactly why; the biggest change I noticed was a reduced nutrient priority in the phagocyte. The senseocyte and myocyte were both set to split at fairly low mass, though in practice they never did. I set them back to never split, mainly to make the genome preview usable again. The myocyte also evolved a strong negative "lift" value, as well as a "contract" value based on stereocyte (S1) input, but it works just as well with those set back to 0, so I did that. Finally several of the splitting lipocytes evolved to have a lower adhesin stiffness--I left this alone.

Now, they can complete Scarce Conditions III, easily maxing the substrate at 800 cells.

Beautiful plumage!
Nayus

Re: Norwegian Blue

Post by Nayus » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:36 pm

I had to look up what those references were :lol: :lol:

Cool organism! It's like a better version of the prey of the challenge Predator. Cool mix between design and evolution.

I noticed the same changes while I tested evolution on my smart swimmers. They tend to lower the Phagocyte nutrient priority and increase the priority of the cell responsible for reproduction (generally a Stereocyte). In this case is not that big the difference because the organism has to have enough nutrients to spawn offstring at once.
wapcaplet

Post by wapcaplet » Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:19 pm

Yeah, many times I've seen evolution make the same kinds of changes in different organisms. High priority for the egg-laying cell is typical, and low priority for the phagocyte seems common as well. I'm often surprised by how low the egg's priority is in evolved swimmers... Quite a few times I have seen evolution favoring swimmers having low priority eggs that take a long time to hatch, such that many (if not most) are carrying an egg around full-time. The same happened with these in an earlier mutation--they would spawn an egg, then spend a long time lurching and circling the egg before hitting enough nutrients to hatch it. It was inefficient but kind of funny to watch; they still do it a little bit, but I tried to minimize it because it throws off their aim so badly.
bwisialo

Post by bwisialo » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:55 am

Very nice! :) I created a pretty bizarre organism -- 3 Flagellocytes with b=0 -- that only moves when food is detected. There must be several ways to do this, I'm not sure what might work best in the end.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1740

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9q2fjofyzp018 ... enome?dl=0
amor fati
bwisialo

Post by bwisialo » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:41 pm

Nice work on efficiency! :D Norwegian Blues complete Scarce III.
amor fati
wapcaplet

Post by wapcaplet » Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:00 pm

Scarce III has become my model substrate for smart swimmers lately; it's a good benchmark to shoot for, and is surprisingly easy (at least now, with all my expertise) to hit 200-300 cells on, and evolution can pretty well take over from there. Recently I did independent evolution on three different smart swimmer body styles, with no particular goal but high population on low nutrient concentration. All of them yielded weird asymmetrical mutants, but all three easily completed Scarce III. It's not as hard as it looks, once you get a toehold.
bwisialo

Post by bwisialo » Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:32 am

Exactly!! :D I've always used Scarce III as a baseline and reference point. Sometimes I might use more nutrients, but at least I know where things stand, and I can keep efficiency at a level where the smarts are actually needed. I probably have 20+ solutions with a wide array of organisms. I have something for you, via PM.
amor fati
wapcaplet

Post by wapcaplet » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:24 am

I enjoy that deep sea fish. Asymmetry is a lot of fun--leads to some quirky behaviors.

Didn't get PM... :?:
bwisialo

Post by bwisialo » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:11 am

Well... I haven't sent it yet. ;)
amor fati
Massicyte

Post by Massicyte » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:55 am

I personally think that you should've named the genome "Caribbean Blue", because there's a song by Enya that is named like that, and it's so mellow that it makes me want to take a nap like these little guys :P

Btw here's the link to the song, because I want to share it with the world :3 --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jl8iYAo90pE
[Inspirational Quote]