Idea Bank 2.0

Post your creations here. It can be either a cool genome or an interesting ecosystem. Indicate if you designed it yourself or if it was created through evolution, or both :). File, picture, or video is required.
bwisialo

Idea Bank 2.0

Post by bwisialo » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:10 pm

The premise here is to provide ideas for genomes and substrates with a description as precise as possible. The list below will be updated as the ideas are successfully produced and new ideas are added. The initial listings were compiled from the previous “Idea Bank” thread. It will have to be cleaned up and reorganized a bit.

Comments to make ideas more precise or reduce overlap between ideas are appreciated.
  • Slime mold – completed
  • Tentacle organism - completed
  • Tentacle predator
  • Tentacle parasite
  • A functioning brain - completed
  • Something that reproduces by splitting - completed
  • Amoeba
  • Filter feeder
  • Live birth – completed
  • pack-hunting predator
  • Prey with kinetic energy weapons
  • Immune system, kills foreign objects and removes keratin.
  • A virus that removes Keratinocytes – completed
  • Snake, creature which violently strikes at prey using muscular body to stretch or uncoil itself rapidly. Advanced sensors allow it to accurately detect prey from a distance. It otherwise lies in wait.
  • Hibernater, a creature that converts most of its body to lipocytes, except for a handful of sensors, when no food is around – completed
  • Purity, a creature capable of detecting and killing modified versions of itself, by, e.g. a virus.
  • Desert tortoise: a creature which lives in a Desert and hides in a keratin shell when a predator attacks.
  • Logical circuits – completed
  • Prey that evades the predator organism. – completed
  • An organism that shoots projectiles to destroy its prey.
  • Models of real-life viruses, bacterium, fungi, or parasites, and the corresponding human immune response.
  • An organsism that sends out "drones" to attack its prey, which then return to give the mother cell the energy after eating the prey.
  • A cell that explodes to destroy its prey – completed
  • A cell that launches cyanide-secreting secrosytes to kill its prey.
  • Pollination: Plant with male and female flowers, where female flowers must be fertilized by pollen from male flowers before they can reproduce. Could be wind pollinated (self-spreading with flagello/buoy) or (spread by another organism that visits flowers and picks up pollen).
  • Parthenogenesis: Female in a sexually-reproducing organism that can self-fertilize and produce offspring when males are scarce.
  • Frog with sticky tongue: Detects prey some distance away, but instead of moving to attack it, uses a retractable tongue that can shoot out or unroll, ensnare or stick to the prey, and retract back in.
  • Jellyfish with stinging tentacles: Floats at the top of a substrate and dangles tentacles down to catch food. The "sting" could be a secrocyte that emits S1 to interfere with the swimmers' guidance, or a virocyte that damages their genome to stop them from swimming while the tentacle absorbs their nutrients.
  • Smart nutrient-eating swimmer with smart predatory tentacle / tail. - completed
  • Food-shooting drone: a drone that shoots cells at a parasitic queen and then avoids her by color again to go back for more food
  • organism that has a stemocyte head that shoots out a cyanide secrocyte to kill the prey and then turns to a phagocyte that will collect the remains.
  • organism that works and looks like a venus fly trap that will lure in swimmers to trap and eat them.
  • organism that uses stemocyte to change into lipocyte when sensed something to block signal.
amor fati
Nayus

Re: Idea Bank 2.0

Post by Nayus » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:59 am

I can add these for now (I had one more but I forgot it in the span of writing this :( ):
  • Predator without Devorocytes, Glueocytes or Cyanide secretion: Can actively kill a prey but without the usual means. Actively means that it doesn't do it just by eating all the food of the prey. A possible option is to infect it with a Virocyte to make it kill itself or maybe feed the Predator. Another one that I'm evaluating as maybe impossible is to have a muscle way to break the adhesin of the prey and eating the cells that die. But it is very likely that muscles don't have the necessary strength.
  • Sexual reproduction by Virocytes: Because dang it I want it to be possible
  • Zombie Virus (Like Candy talked about): A organism that can attach itself to another one and make it change its priorities and movement to fit a different objective.
bwisialo

Post by bwisialo » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:39 am

I have the predator one, I think. :)

I created a virus that I called Zombie Virus. It infects smart swimmers and turns them into smart swimmers that go after their own species. If I ever saw Candy's description, I forgotten. Mine infects and changes the victims for the purpose of spreading the virus, infecting the entire victim species, and cleaning the plate -- like solutions to the Infection challenges. One thing that is cool about the virus is that it doesn't have any nutrient-gaining cells in its genome -- as real virus don't.

amor fati
bwisialo

Post by bwisialo » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:55 am

I reread your idea and my predator above may be too standard. But, how would the prey feed the predator if the predator has no Devorocytes or Glueocytes? Those are only cells that get energy from other cells, and if a species can't feed off other cells, it's not exactly a predator.

Making a victim species kill itself should be doable -- infect a smart swimmer and turn off or reverse the signal. Yeah, getting Myocytes to accurately and consistently kill cells seems unlikely. Feedung off dead cell remains isn't useful unless huge numbers of cells are dying.

Virocytes seem to have potential, but you may or may not end up with a predator.
amor fati
bwisialo

Post by bwisialo » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:39 am

Nayus wrote:Sexual reproduction by Virocytes: Because dang it I want it to be possible [/list]
It might be possible. ;) I tried it while creating Cross-fertilization via Virocyte, but I may have not set it up properly. And that was a smart organism where I was running out of modes trying to get a genome to infect and copy into itself.

It is possible to have a genome infect itself repeatedly and transfer modes in the process. It needs to contain a duplicate portion of itself.

I'll start a new thread for it.
amor fati
Nayus

Post by Nayus » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:30 am

I wish I knew completely how Virocytes work. Because with my current theory of the thing I tried to make a advanced Sexual organism [To prove it was possible] but it just didn't work. There's something deeper than just "copies this to this". I know you explained it, somewhere in the vast field of threads, but I didn't find it. There should be a single one place where it is deeply explained. [This is a hint that I might gather all the explanations from you guys and post it]
bwisialo

Post by bwisialo » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:47 am

I've thought about writing up an updated and short explanation that explains how Virocytes work and don't work. You can find what I've written before by searching Infection Sandbox in the Challenges.
amor fati
TragmatiS

Post by TragmatiS » Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:35 am

A couple ideas:
Omnidirectional smart prey
One-celled self-avoiding smart swimmer
Predator that reproduces by splitting
I`m Russian so there may be typos.
bwisialo

Post by bwisialo » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:20 pm

Omni-directional swimmer with no Stereocyte.
Smart serpent with no Stereocyte.
amor fati
Megathosto14

Post by Megathosto14 » Mon May 01, 2017 4:59 am

Smart Sensorcyte Crawler?

Edit: nope, I don't think it's possible.
Killing one makes one a sinner.
Killing hundreds makes one a hero.
Killing thousands makes one a king.
Killing millions makes one an emperor.