Dubista Microfera: Semi-Carnivorous Plant

Post your creations here. It can be either a cool genome or an interesting ecosystem. Indicate if you designed it yourself or if it was created through evolution, or both :). File, picture, or video is required.
Sakaaaaa

Dubista Microfera: Semi-Carnivorous Plant

Post by Sakaaaaa » Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:27 am

There is a new species of algae, it lives in a nitrate-free environment, but where does it get it's nitrates?? Well, scientists have observed 3-celled nitrous swimmers sticking to glueocytes found on the algae. What the scientists found out though, was that the plant was enslaving the nitrous swimmers to get it's nitrates! A semi-carnivorous plant! The plant though, still provides just enough energy for the swimmers to live, but it's only doing that for the nitrates. Thus, the scientists placed it into it's own genus, dubista.
Dubista Microfera
"Only two things are infinite: the universe and photocytes on a sunlit substrate. I'm actually not sure about the universe!"
-Avert Eyntsein
bwisialo

Re: Dubista Microfera: Semi-Carnivorous Plant

Post by bwisialo » Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:48 am

Nice! :)
amor fati
Tarux

Post by Tarux » Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:18 am

Nice one! An excellent example of commensalism, the algae is benefited and the swimmers are not helped nor harmed in any way. I wonder tho, why do you need food-secreting secrocytes for dumb organisms? Or is it just aesthetical?
Ahh, the fresh smell of celluar mitosis!
C4pung

Post by C4pung » Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:58 am

Another cool genome and cool name from you Saka! :D . I like how you use a nitrateless plate to control the photocytes reproduction so they dont overpopulate the plate (I always work on a high salinity, nitrated plate :lol: ). I wonder the same thing too about the food-smell secrocytes.

You seem to specialize on photocytes ;) . I stopped using photocytes because they can overpopulate the plate in no time (or use a non-splitting photocyte for a change) but you manage to come up alot of diffrent solutions to prevent that from happening, good job :D

Ps. Where does "Dubista" came from, or perhaps what does it mean? ;)
Currently resides in Showcase of Our Creations . Have you realized how many (o) you killed everytime you press the sterilize button? You monster ! :cry:
Sakaaaaa

Post by Sakaaaaa » Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:06 am

Thanks for the replies everybody! It not only survives in a nitrateless plate, but it can also live on a plate with little light by "eating" smart swimmers. That's what the secrocytes are for.

@C4Pung, Yes I am a "botanist" :D
Dubista is a made up word I made up when I was in kindergarten/1st grade, it means "a dubious trap" hehe.
"Only two things are infinite: the universe and photocytes on a sunlit substrate. I'm actually not sure about the universe!"
-Avert Eyntsein
Sakaaaaa

Post by Sakaaaaa » Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:14 am

Here is Dubista Microfera exhibiting carnivorous behaviour in a light-defficient environment:
Dubista Microfera Prey
Yes, normal photocytes will still survive but barely.
-Avert Eyntsein