Randomized Swimmer Color and Pseudo Races

Post your creations here. It can be either a cool genome or an interesting ecosystem. Indicate if you designed it yourself or if it was created through evolution, or both :). File, picture, or video is required.
C4pung

Randomized Swimmer Color and Pseudo Races

Post by C4pung » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:37 pm

I have an idea of diffrent "races" of swimmers that have diffrent color, Bwisialo had already made 1 from kite swimmers but initially I was going to use sexual reproduction. But there was not enough modes :( , and so I just make it random. Here is Koi swimmer!
(Gotta made this before the gamete update is out ;))

Subs : https://www.dropbox.com/s/0vji43qe43jsd ... trate?dl=0

The Koi randomizes its pectoral (side) and caudal (tail) fins

Huge credit to Jprescott for this simple but effective layout! :D , made it based on his Clumsy Swimmer layout

The Koi randomize its fins by 2 diffrent ways, the first way is via direct food detection. This happens on the pectoral fins, they start with stereocytes that detect food, after performing 90/10 split they become a pair of stemocyte that changes into the specific color based on the signals the stereocyte gives.

The second way is indirect food detection. The rear phagocyte produces another stemocyte that detects the left-right movement of the Koi based on +-S1, then channels into the specific color the signals are. Here is the specific colors and the corresponding modes :

M10 : Left Flagelo color choice I (red)
M11 : Left Flagelo color choice II (orange)
M12 : Right Flagelo color choice I (red)
M13 : Right Flagelo color choice II (orange)
M14 : Rear Flagelo color choice I (yellow)
M19 : Rear Flagelo color choice II (black)

You can choose your own set of colors based on this :D . Also, there is a psedo-dominant gene because when food gets scarce, the corresponding color will emerge more than the one with positive input. You can also change it to detect neighbour color to make an interesting interaction between mother and offspring color, just like mating do!.

Ps. I only need 1 more mode! Then the myocyte can be colored diffrent too :x
Last edited by C4pung on Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
Currently resides in Showcase of Our Creations . Have you realized how many (o) you killed everytime you press the sterilize button? You monster ! :cry:
Sphaxie

Re: Randomized Swimmer Color

Post by Sphaxie » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:44 pm

C4pung wrote:I have an idea of diffrent "races" of swimmers that have diffrent color, Bwisialo had already made 1 from kite swimmers but initially I was going to use sexual reproduction. But there was not enough modes :( , and so I just make it random. Here is Koi swimmer!
(Gotta made this before the gamete update is out ;))

Subs : https://www.dropbox.com/s/0vji43qe43jsd ... trate?dl=0

The Koi randomizes its pectoral (side) and caudal (tail) fins

Huge credit to Jprescott for this simple but effective layout! :D , made it based on his Clumsy Swimmer layout

The Koi randomize its fins by 2 diffrent ways, the first way is via direct food detection. This happens on the pectoral fins, they start with stereocytes that detect food, after performing 90/10 split they become a pair of stemocyte that changes into the specific color based on the signals the stereocyte gives.

The second way is indirect food detection. The rear phagocyte produces another stemocyte that detects the left-right movement of the Koi based on +-S1, then channels into the specific color the signals are. Here is the specific colors and the corresponding modes :

M10 : Left Flagelo color choice I (red)
M11 : Left Flagelo color choice II (orange)
M12 : Right Flagelo color choice I (red)
M13 : Right Flagelo color choice II (orange)
M14 : Rear Flagelo color choice I (yellow)
M19 : Rear Flagelo color choice II (black)

You can choose your own set of colors based on this :D . Also, there is a psedo-dominant gene because when food gets scarce, the corresponding color will emerge more than the one with positive input. You can also change it to detect neighbour color to make an interesting interaction between mother and offspring color, just like mating do!.

Ps. I only need 1 more mode! Then the myocyte can be colored diffrent too :x
pretty nice...... I'm going to bed baii
The evil signature IT'S TIME TO STOP!!! ARE YOU ENTERTAINED?!
C4pung

Re: Randomized Swimmer Color and Pseudo Races

Post by C4pung » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:12 am

I dont really know what to call this one, but I guess its pseudo races/mating :?:

Subs : https://www.dropbox.com/s/f2g9b6u4mb1ps ... trate?dl=0

The swimmer starts their on population apart

What Im trying to do here is basicly trying to mix up the swimmer colors like mating, but without actually fertilizing the egg so its "pseudo mating". It goes like this:

If green detects blue, it will produce blue, if not it will produce green. The same goes as blue, if it detects green it will produce green, if not it will produce blue.

This mechanism made so there is a "fake" distribution of the specific color. It starts with both green and blue have their own population in a separate place, after sometime they will start to mix up and reaches equilibrium.

Ps. I wished to use 2 senseocytes to determine which signal is stronger, blue or green. But I failed to do so :( , not only I have ran out of modes, I also dont understand how to use only 1 senseocytes (hence I want to try 2). I go around this problem by making an "unfertilized" stemocyte to split into an offspring. Anyone can explain it? Any answer is much appreciated
Currently resides in Showcase of Our Creations . Have you realized how many (o) you killed everytime you press the sterilize button? You monster ! :cry:
TragmatiS

Post by TragmatiS » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:33 pm

I can`t look at your swimmers right now, but they look nice!
EDIT: had a look, cool races imitation! But you may end up with a color war...
I`m Russian so there may be typos.
C4pung

Post by C4pung » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:58 am

Thanks for the kind reply! :D , I think thats what Im going for hehe, its like the virocyte color war but this one is on swimmers :lol: .

I made a newer version :https://www.dropbox.com/s/hqrtog5oevhh8 ... trate?dl=0

The swimmers look like grouping by the same color

Initial egg for Orange is M1, for Purple is M20, and for both is M15. Sorry for small plate, my phone cant handle larger ones :( , they will survive in any plate with high salinity and decent amount of food though, the light is for aesthetic purposes only

This time I called it Pseudo Grouping, because they seem like group themself by the same color. But what actually happens is the same mechanics as before. This time I use senseocytes though, so both swimmers have a pair of senseocytes that detects each corresponding color, the stereocyte produce a stemocyte that will channel to the egg of the stronger color.

So basicly each swimmer born in the same color as their "neighbourhood". The plate will most likely reach equilibrium where the amount of orange and purple swimmers are the same and distributed equally around the plate, but there are certain scenarios that one of the swimmers made the other one extinct only by color!, I think thats quite interesting.

The output of the experiment varies alot because they are random based on where the food is, you can topple an equilibrium by putting some non splitting photocytes/lipocytes on the plate and watch as the swimmer offspring will mimic the color
Last edited by C4pung on Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
bwisialo

Post by bwisialo » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:39 am

The pseudo grouping is very cool! Some interesting variations could come from that. It would interesting to combine this mechanism with some version of flocking by color.

Why do you have the orange swimmers and purple swimmers produce different Stemocytes?

I have, if I I can find it :lol: , a dumb swimmers where both the Flagellocyte and Phagocyte can be one of two colors, giving 4 possibilities. Building on that, it seems like there should be enough modes to get a Myocyte swimmer where each of the four cells can be one of two colors.
amor fati
C4pung

Post by C4pung » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:08 am

Thats the thing Im wondering about! I forgot to ask! :lol: . It goes like this : I tried using the same stemocytes but I noticed something, the stemocyte somehow "prefers" one channel than the other.

So I was using (I think it was M12) stemocyte on the orange swimmer and it looks fine, they make orange swimmer when no purple is around, then I try it out on purple swimmer, same thing they produce purple because there was no orange around.

The problem occurs when I put them on the same time, The orange swimmer wont change its offspring color even though there is plenty of purple around for some reason I dont know, but the purple one works just fine. The stemocyte somehow picks the first channel I think, so I used 2 diffrent stemocytes. Same as the first version, I used 2 different senseocytes that do 90/10 on the swimmer. Did use the wrong values? It was really frustrating before so I take shortcuts like the 90/10 split and 2 diffrent stemocyte because I just couldnt get the value right :x
bwisialo

Post by bwisialo » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:23 am

The Stemocyte tests the requirements of channel one first. If the requirements are satisfied, it differentiates into channel one. If they are not satisfied, then the Stemocyte will test to see if the requirements of channel two are satisfied. If they are not satisfied, the Stemocyte will re-check channel one requirements, and if those are still not satisfied, it will re-check channel two, etc..

There are ways to resolve this so that channel one is not favored. It might take additional modes depending on the application.
amor fati
bwisialo

Post by bwisialo » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:30 am

I see. You used two substances for the two channels. You should be able to have both swimmers produce the same Stemocyte if you use one substance for both Senseocytes / channels. One Senseocyte +30, the other -30. One channel is triggered if c>.01; the other is triggered if c <-.01. If there is no signal or the signals cancel, it will remain a Stemocyte until one Stereocyte's signal is stronger. Does that work?
amor fati
JPrescott

Post by JPrescott » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:00 am

Cool! Now they actually look like koi. It would be awesome if this method could be used as color coding for different functioning units in a colony.
Split split
It's bright and lit
Split split
Too much oh sh-