Parthogenesis

Post your creations here. It can be either a cool genome or an interesting ecosystem. Indicate if you designed it yourself or if it was created through evolution, or both :). File, picture, or video is required.
C4pung

Parthogenesis

Post by C4pung » Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:05 pm

A sexually reproducing swimmer that can "fertilize" it self when male is scarce!. Based on the idea in Idea Bank 2.0

Subs : https://www.dropbox.com/s/mm948owdgcu5x ... trate?dl=0

Female are in purple, males are in blue. M1 is initial egg for females, M20 is initial eggs for males, M10 is for both. Just like usual, the female carry a stemocyte with S2 input, the male have +S2 secrocyte. After being fertilized, the stemocyte will channel to another stemocyte that will randomize its offspring gender via +-S1. But heres the catch: The males are unattracted to females.

So, what if the male gets really scarce?. I managed to found a little trick when making my Pseudo Races, the unfertilized egg will 90/10 split to a female egg! :D . Because of this the female can still reproduce without being fertilized by males. Worst case scenario, the male will go extinct, but the species lives on. The males can be "ressurected" by planting an +S2 secrocyte to the plate.

I followed wikipedia on Parthogenesis, when the female gave birth to another female without fertilization. Its possible to produce both gender in cell lab though, by making the stemocyte split 90/10 to the gender stemocyte instead of the female egg
Last edited by C4pung on Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Currently resides in Showcase of Our Creations . Have you realized how many (o) you killed everytime you press the sterilize button? You monster ! :cry:
ANYMOUS SCIENTIST

Re: Parthogenesis

Post by ANYMOUS SCIENTIST » Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:46 pm

Amazing!
Congratulations!This is what i looking for!
Need Motivation
ANYMOUS SCIENTIST

Post by ANYMOUS SCIENTIST » Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:53 pm

It just have a 2 problem/unperfections:
1 The female/pink swimmer still can reproduce without touching the male/blue
2 I havent unlock stemocyte, Deception challenge is hard :oops:
But its alright still looks good for me
Need Motivation
C4pung

Post by C4pung » Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:00 pm

The first problem were actually the main function :lol: . Parthogenesis means that the female is able to reproduce when male gets scarce, but they can only produce females, they still need males to produce the gender stemocyte. Female Swimmer said "Im a strong independent woman!" :lol: .

If you want to see an actual sexually reproducing swimmer, there is a bunch of variations in this forum. I made an Omni, Predator, Serpent, and Asymmetrical swimmers that reproduce sexually. The Omni and Serpent is hemaphrodite though

Ps. Check out Discussion of Challenges, Ruffo posted a video about an easy genome to replicate. Bwisialo also posted a video on youtube that shows you step by step on how to solve it.
Last edited by C4pung on Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Currently resides in Showcase of Our Creations . Have you realized how many (o) you killed everytime you press the sterilize button? You monster ! :cry:
ANYMOUS SCIENTIST

Post by ANYMOUS SCIENTIST » Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:01 pm

Ohhhhh thanks!great job bro :P
There is no wfi exist in my home so i cant watch the vid :(
Last edited by ANYMOUS SCIENTIST on Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Need Motivation
C4pung

Post by C4pung » Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:05 pm

Thanks for the kind reply :)
bwisialo

Post by bwisialo » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:14 am

Nice work! :D I did something similar but used a different mechanism. If I recall correctly, mine worked like this. The females produce a Senseocyte that detects the male. The Senseocyte splits 90/10 into a Stemocyte after a while. If the male was detected, the Stemocyte becomes a second Stemocyte which is an egg that needs fertilization. If the male was not detected, the initial Stemocyte differentiates into a male egg.

I should revisit it sometime and see what else we can do with these sorts of mechanisms. :)
amor fati
C4pung

Post by C4pung » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:44 am

Wow your mechanism for parthogenesis is really cool!. Mine was really simple and "exploited" the 90/10 splits. I think if the fertilized eggs only produce females (without gender randomization) then we can get an interesting function to preserve both gender!. It goes like this :

-If male is scarce, the senseocyte will not detect it, then it will do 90/10 to a stemocyte that will turn into a male egg without further fertilization.

-if female is scarce, the senseocyte will detect males (since there are an abundance of them), then do a 90/10 split to a stemocyte. This stemocyte will need to be fertilized by a male to produce a guaranteed female egg
bwisialo

Post by bwisialo » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:13 pm

If randomization is set up right, random results preserve both genders. Don't they?

Female scarcity does not necessarily imply males will be detected. Right? Both genders might be scarce.
amor fati
C4pung

Post by C4pung » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:24 pm

True, true. I was thinking the fertilization it self will keep the keep balance for the genders. Like if the female is "scarce" I taught the ratio of female/males will make alot of males will chase a single female, making the chance of fertilization higher.

But you are right, it might be both genders be scarce. That will mean trouble for the species since the female cant reproduce (contradicts the parthogenesis nature of the species).