Amoeba

Post your creations here. It can be either a cool genome or an interesting ecosystem. Indicate if you designed it yourself or if it was created through evolution, or both :). File, picture, or video is required.
bwisialo

Re: Amoeba

Post by bwisialo » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:49 am

I know CL can't do microfilament contraction or mimic it well at all. :lol: What I mean is, suppose you're posting something on the forum or on youtube, and you're calling it an amoeba. Of the currently available options, what would you give it? This is an amoeba thread after all. :lol:
amor fati
bwisialo

Post by bwisialo » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:51 am

PS - Amoeba has been requested on youtube dozens of times, so this is going to happen one way or another. :lol:
amor fati
C4pung

Post by C4pung » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:00 am

What I was going for when I made this was :
-Shape :P , a shape-changing organism based on how it move.
-Internal Movement : I actually mixed up Amoebas and Slime Mold movement. I tried to mimic the "sloshing around" of material inside the membrane when the organism move. This is the reason I use Proguy's mechanism

Edit: this is the video I got my idea :
Currently resides in Showcase of Our Creations . Have you realized how many (o) you killed everytime you press the sterilize button? You monster ! :cry:
bwisialo

Post by bwisialo » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:27 am

Oh boy, now we're going ten directions with ten frames of reference. That's cool though.
amor fati
C4pung

Post by C4pung » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:19 pm

I tried to make the Paramecium, but it didnt go so well :oops:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/62jt1s9cp1t5e ... trate?dl=0

Movement is quite well, and it dont need light. The food count can be lowered further I think, the plate was a test plate I use for any large organism. The problem is the structure is way too wobbly, the back side folds itself.

Also..... Its kinda plain? :? . Its just a wobbly swimmer with alot of flagellocytes. I wish I can implement a "function" or "mechanism". Like organelles, sexual reproduction, or burst-splitting to spice it abit.
bwisialo wrote:Oh boy, now we're going ten directions with ten frames of reference. That's cool though.
Do you mean I am sidetracking from the original idea?. Sorry I tend to do that :oops: . A better name for this thread is maybe "Multicellular Unicellular Organisms" :lol: . I mean we try to make a Unicellular organism irl in CL. Amoebas, Spores, Bacteria, Paramecium, Euglena, to name a few
Currently resides in Showcase of Our Creations . Have you realized how many (o) you killed everytime you press the sterilize button? You monster ! :cry:
bwisialo

Post by bwisialo » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:59 pm

No, you're fine. That explanation helps though. I see what you're doing with the theme.

You could still answer my question though. If I put a gun to your head and said, "what are you going to use for movement on this Cell Lab amoeba? You must choose something," then what do you choose?
amor fati
C4pung

Post by C4pung » Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:10 pm

You are not going to receive any answer from me, shoot me if you dare!!!. But if Im going to choose, I will pick "flagellocyte emission" or something like that. Sorry if I sidetrack abit, but let me explain my "view" of this organism :

-non-permanent way of movementThe real Amoeba move by microfilaments that interacts with myosin to perform contraction/extension to move. Myocyte is the cell lab equivalent of this. But, Microfilaments are not permanent. If they are permanent then I guess the structure will stay rigid and cannot change its shape freely, Microfilaments are made of Actins sub-units that can be disassembled and rearranged.

This is why I use flagellocyte emission, they are not permanent like swimmer's flagellocyte, but also not too short-lived like the farter's flagellocyte. They push the membrane until they die and their remains recycled back to allow the "blob" form of the Amoeba exist.

-Pseudointelligence. The real Amoeba dont have brains to navigate, but they can extend to any direction if they sense food. I try to recreate this by having 4 stereocyte modules that detect food in only 1 direction each. This means they cant "communicate" to each other or have steering capabilities. But, the more food there is in front of the stereocytes, the more flagellocytes it produce.

In that way, even if the Amoeba is surrounded by food, the stereocyte with most food will produce more flagellocytes, and the total of each flagellocytes reproduced from each stereocytes will hopefully guide the Amoeba to the area where the most food exist. "Pseudointelligence".

So in short, my Amoeba uses "Internal Flagellocyte Emmision", emiting temporal flagellocytes inside a membrane to push the organism. This movement have characteristics (which are my goal for this organism) : non-permanent motor cells, omnidirectional movement, changing shapes, and pseudointelligence.

Ps. Sorry for long post, I wrote the process of coming up the idea itself. The last paragraph if sufficient to answer your question I think, all before it was just a story on how I decide to make it this way
C4pung

Post by C4pung » Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:35 pm

Darn it, I made it even more complicated. Simplified : "Internal Flagellocyte Emission", making flagellocytes inside a membrane that push the organism in all direction making amoeba-like movement.

"Flagellocyte Emission" would be temporal flagellocytes that push the organism before dying.
bwisialo

Post by bwisialo » Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:48 pm

Nice. There's no good answer, no right answer, but that's a great answer! :D A Stereocyte is not a brain. It is a sensory neuron. A Neurocyte that coordinates multiple sensory inputs into an output is a brain. Intelligent and brainy are different.
amor fati
C4pung

Post by C4pung » Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:25 am

I made a prototype module for the Flagellocyte Emission :
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1pwy8lk2fjd99 ... trate?dl=0

Its a Cyanobacteria with 2 modules on each "poles". The module each consist of a pair of stemocytes that are controlled by a stereocyte. Based on the signal, they produce flagellocytes left/right. Each module are on the opposite pole to make up/down movement.

Its still not perfect because the flagellocyte kinda push into the opposite stemocyte, getting shot by the opposite flagellocyte if the stereocyte sensed food. But if they already gone to a direction this happen alot more rarely. The compact design allow more flagellocyte inside and less escaping. It rely heavily on light to move though, thats why I called it Cyanobacteria.

Reproduction-wise its pretty good, not too much like my other photocyte based design. But I kinda wish to get a long strand of Bacterias like the real thing but its kinda hard to do that.