Rotating Light - Evolution time lapse

Post your creations here. It can be either a cool genome or an interesting ecosystem. Indicate if you designed it yourself or if it was created through evolution, or both :). File, picture, or video is required.
wapcaplet

Rotating Light - Evolution time lapse

Postby wapcaplet » Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:45 pm

After a long absence from playing Cell Lab, I recently got back into it with renewed interest. I've been messing around a lot with evolution, and recording some time-lapse videos. Here's a cool one I'd like to share, inspired by the in-game "Sunlight II" challenge:

Youtube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toO8FBpsxS8&t=31s
Substrate: https://www.dropbox.com/s/48m4yk7jvi17k ... trate?dl=0

photocyte-eye.png
photocyte-eye.png (42.96 KiB) Viewed 261 times

These organisms were created through random evolution with high radiation. I started with an ample, non-rotating light to get a few photocyte-lipocyte organisms started, using "Contaminate with random cells". Once they could reproduce easily, I cranked up radiation, diminished the light, and started it rotating. The time-lapse begins some way into the rotating-light era, after several distinct genomes have come to dominate different parts of the outer rim.

During the video, I tinkered with a few settings--more or less light, more or less radiation, with or without "Kill cells at edge". I love all the different shapes and sizes of the organisms--the light greenish ones at the lower left are long worms, the blue ones at the lower right are big globs, the red ones at the top make flowery curls. Their distinct shapes become a lot more obvious when the light becomes dimmer.

Regarding radiation, the substrate and time-lapse use fairly high radiation = 0.070. For simple organisms like these, you can crank radiation to maximum with few ill effects, though the organisms may change quickly, especially if they reach a population bottleneck. I've found 0.030 - 0.040 to be a good stable range for long-term mutation.

C4pung

Re: Rotating Light - Evolution time lapse

Postby C4pung » Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:11 am

Welcome back! :D . Havent downloaded the newer version of CL but it looks amazing, particularly the blue mass that emerges around 50 seconds in the video and died again because of radiation. I always hated evolution because it feels like shooting in the dark and it seems every little tuning I do will cause extinction to the cells in the plate.
Currently resides in Showcase of Our Creations . Have you realized how many (o) you killed everytime you press the sterilize button? You monster ! :cry:

wapcaplet

Postby wapcaplet » Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:51 am

Yeah that blue thing was cool. Among all the random-looking globs of blue, one happened to have a perfect 3-cell-wide structure to grow in a straight line.

It didn't die of radiation, though. That extinction event was when I decreased the light to a mere sliver around the edge. I like how all the crazy organism shapes stand out more as they all get skinny from the lack of light.

But radiation is your friend. You could use maximum radiation almost indefinitely here and it would be unlikely to "kill" anything, only change it faster. The organisms are super simple, just photocytes with sometimes a lipocyte. Kind of hard to screw up, even with rapid mutation. In fact I have been kind of wishing the radiation slider could go 2-3x higher :-)

But on the other hand, if you want to optimize a smart swimmer, or something else you've designed that depends on a specific layout and cell interaction, the key is very low radiation for a very long time. High radiation means bigger, more frequent mutations, which are bad for complex organisms.

Megathosto14

Postby Megathosto14 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:23 am

Nice work. I too love the blue algaes. I really wonder why sometimes they grow fast and sometimes don't.
Anyway, does changing things in the substrate setting reset the sun rotation? It's like that before so this will favor the algae on the top of the plate. I don't know if this was fixed or not in the betas.
And what is mutation numbers mean? Is it how many changes happened in the cell lineage?
Killing one makes one a sinner.
Killing hundreds makes one a hero.
Killing thousands makes one a king.
Killing millions makes one an emperor.

wapcaplet

Postby wapcaplet » Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:10 pm

I messed a lot with the light settings during the course of the video. These are almost all photocytes, so all growth (and dying) is a direct result of what the light is doing.

I didn't notice whether the light-reset bug happened at all. I think the video was recorded in the last official release, not the beta. In any case I never saw the ones at the top being favored.

Megathosto14

Postby Megathosto14 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:37 pm

So that's the case.
Killing one makes one a sinner.
Killing hundreds makes one a hero.
Killing thousands makes one a king.
Killing millions makes one an emperor.

Return to “Showcase of our Creations”