Cooperation

Post your creations here. It can be either a cool genome or an interesting ecosystem. Indicate if you designed it yourself or if it was created through evolution, or both :). File, picture, or video is required.
wapcaplet

Cooperation

Post by wapcaplet » Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:09 pm

Some time ago I tried to engineer a nitrocyte queen. That experiment was not very successful, but a slightly simpler version worked better.

Here is the substrate:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/fossb60i8gnl9 ... trate?dl=0
coop-nitro.png
coop-nitro.png (13.7 KiB) Viewed 814 times
There are no nitrates here. The organism(s) living there are cooperative, and cannot live without each other. See, the green swimmers can collect food, but they have no nitrocyte in their body. Without nitrates, they can't reproduce, and grow large from swimming around without splitting.

The brown 3-celled bits (the "nitro queen") have a nitrocyte, and can stick to the swimmers. They can't get energy from nutrients, so need to absorb nutrients from the swimmers in order to reproduce.

When they stick together, some nitrates transfer into the swimmer, and some nutrients seep into the queen, allowing both to reproduce. The reproduction often separates them, though sometimes larger clumps will form, being held together by swimmers or their remains.

Both (swimmer and queen) are part of the same genome--swimmer egg M1, queen egg M10--though they could just as well be totally separate genomes.

In the same theme of cooperation, here's a blue swimmer that cannot gain energy on its own, cooperating with sticky yellow phagocyte clusters that can absorb nutrients--but have no way to move.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/z2mxqajr0ghah ... trate?dl=0
coop-pusher.png
coop-pusher.png (14.85 KiB) Viewed 814 times
The yellow queens depend on the swimmers for movement, and the swimmers depend on the queens for nutrients. Together, they can reproduce and thrive, but neither of them has a hope of surviving alone.

What kind of cooperative organisms have you made?
Last edited by wapcaplet on Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
H4yw1r3

Re: Cooperation

Post by H4yw1r3 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:51 pm

That's a very interesting concept and organism you got there! I have some organisms too that also involved cooperation. A prey that doesn't reproduce is in the substrate and a predator that lurks around the substrate seeks on it. Every time the prey dies, two comes to life (from the prey's body). It may produce 0 - 4 prey, sometimes reaching 5 offsprings. This also gives food to the predator to reproduce.

I wouldn't say that it's a queen-prey relationship since the prey doesn't seek the predator. Plus, their relationship has 60% chance to be unstable :mrgreen:
Are complex creatures too advanced for you to understand?
Well, let me flood you with them.
Megathosto14

Post by Megathosto14 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:02 pm

Amazing, I like the second one because it make the other one move. Remained me of Chimerism. I'm trying something with photocyte before, but it doesn't work. Maybe I'll try again later when I have time.
Killing one makes one a sinner.
Killing hundreds makes one a hero.
Killing thousands makes one a king.
Killing millions makes one an emperor.
fungus3

Post by fungus3 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:23 pm

Probably raise the salinity so they survive better. The first substrate died out after I loaded it.
wapcaplet

Post by wapcaplet » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:26 pm

fungus3 wrote:Probably raise the salinity so they survive better. The first substrate died out after I loaded it.
Oh yeah, I had it tuned to just barely above survivability. Turning off "kill cells at edge" helps too ;-)
wapcaplet

Post by wapcaplet » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:29 pm

Another cooperative organism I tried was a sticky buoycyte cooperating with photocytes, in a substrate with gravity, and light only at the top. So photocytes alone couldn't stay in the light, but the buoycyte helpers could pull them up so both could reproduce. I could not get it to work, though.