Stubborn Prey

Post your creations here. It can be either a cool genome or an interesting ecosystem. Indicate if you designed it yourself or if it was created through evolution, or both :). File, picture, or video is required.
H4yw1r3

Stubborn Prey

Post by H4yw1r3 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:07 pm

First 2 months of 2018 and I've done this. A simple prey; nothing more, nothing less. Except it's a bit stubborn. Instead of dying when killed, it clones itself and multiply. Even if it's missing one cell, it will still try to multiply with the number of offsprings spanning from 0 to 6 offsprings.

And since it can't *magically* get that much nutrients in 5 seconds, a Photocyte is needed to keep it's stable development growing..

Substrate:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xazq7epnn84f8 ... trate?dl=0
You can summon me to help you modify genomes..
WhatTheSillyName

Re: Stubborn Prey

Post by WhatTheSillyName » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:09 am

Nice work! :)
Ya~
H4yw1r3

Post by H4yw1r3 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:09 am

This prey is basically a 'helpful' one. Once damaged, instead of withering away, it grows into new clones of itself. This gives your predator abundant amounts of food..
wapcaplet

Post by wapcaplet » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:19 am

Great design; I like how it can regenerate its flagellocyte if it's eaten. In this small substrate, a predator hunts them to extinction pretty fast, but in a larger one they seem to do better. It's too bad they can't reproduce except by being attacked.
H4yw1r3

Post by H4yw1r3 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:57 am

They also reproduce every 240 hr..
wapcaplet

Post by wapcaplet » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:33 pm

Oh yeah, I guess I just didn't wait long enough for the 240hr cycle.

I wanted to try adding a predator, but because the new eggs are near the predator, they often were eaten, and the prey would be consumed to extinction. So I gave the egg a temporary flagello, helping it get away from the predator.

Then I got carried away and made two swimming eggs going in different directions. Finally I made each of those split into twins. Now, they multiply like crazy when a predator attacks! It makes a curious predator/prey balance, when the prey effectively needs the predator in order to reproduce.

Here is a substrate just before population explosion.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4v6fq37foakp5 ... trate?dl=0

This substrate has lowered food and salinity, and in fact the prey cannot survive without a predator. Only when they are attacked do they get the advantage of photocytes to grow. I haven't run it long term yet...

Here's another variation, where the prey only makes twins. I increased nutrients so prey can survive on their own (reproducing at 240h). They can feed a huge number of predators without dying out!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fxs8kzysplcmj ... trate?dl=0

It seems like they could coexist indefinitely. I love all the regenerative aspects you added to this prey, how they can make a new head or tail easily, and even a tail flagellum by itself can escape and regenerate the whole swimmer.