Smart prey/predator substrate

Post your creations here. It can be either a cool genome or an interesting ecosystem. Indicate if you designed it yourself or if it was created through evolution, or both :). File, picture, or video is required.
humon

Smart prey/predator substrate

Post by humon » Thu May 17, 2018 2:30 pm

Eggs are overpowered.
Why?
I figured the best way to allow a prey to avoid being cleaned, is to give them a safety tool. This can be an area that predators don't reach, or a protected egg which when a wave of hungry predators appear will persist, and hatch once they are gone.
So, I made a substrate, relatively friendly with a huge amount of nutrients, and put a smart predator alongside an egg-laying diamond shaped smart swimmer.
7500 ingame hours of simulation later, I found that the balance between the two species was still perfectly fine.
Tools that seem pointless and a waste of nutrients can be amazingly effective. By increasing the hatch time, we can increase the survivability of the prey. Decreasing it gives more stability to predators. A helpful addition to an already huge variety of variables.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9yrxkv2gnix28 ... trate?dl=0
Screenshot_2018-05-17-15-41-31-613_com.saterskog.cell_lab.png
Yet, both organisms still present
Screenshot_2018-05-17-15-41-33-922_com.saterskog.cell_lab.png
-First experiment of the Aspiring Apprentice-
Once a single split,
Now a grand gift,
Thanks to evolution,
A complete revolution.

The substrate being well lit,
The cells no longer fit,
One last tragic split:
"I quit!"

-the Lost Poet
humon

Re: Smart prey/predator substrate

Post by humon » Thu May 17, 2018 2:47 pm

Notes: these swimmers DO beat dumb swimmers if the conditions are correct. Additionally, on low nutrient rate but high salinity they outdo protected dumb swimmers EVEN with the predators present, as the balance can be kept on conditions where protected dumb swimmers couldn't even survive on their own.
As invasive species, on substrates where the egg-layers would barely beat protected dumb swimmers, the predators only harming the egg-layers can cause the protected to come out as winners (unless the predator dies out first, which is more than likely thanks to eggs)

All-in-all, this species is not only good at keeping balance, but pretty tough against dumbs aswell if the conditions are correct.
-First experiment of the Aspiring Apprentice-
Once a single split,
Now a grand gift,
Thanks to evolution,
A complete revolution.

The substrate being well lit,
The cells no longer fit,
One last tragic split:
"I quit!"

-the Lost Poet
WhatTheSillyName

Re: Smart prey/predator substrate

Post by WhatTheSillyName » Thu May 17, 2018 3:11 pm

Nice work !
It is another useful model eco-system for me too.
Ya~