Belles: Smart floaters

Post your creations here. It can be either a cool genome or an interesting ecosystem. Indicate if you designed it yourself or if it was created through evolution, or both :). File, picture, or video is required.
wapcaplet

Belles: Smart floaters

Post by wapcaplet » Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:24 pm

The awesome smart floaters by user drowemos (Bellyflopers and UFOs and Landers) inspired me to create my first smart food-seeking floater, the bell-shaped "belles".
belle-design.png
belle-design.png (7.44 KiB) Viewed 907 times
belle-evolved.png
belle-evolved.png (8.85 KiB) Viewed 907 times
Purple is my designed organism, and cyan is the same organism after ~40,000h of evolution at 0.005 radiation (about 6,000 mutations).

Substrate: https://www.dropbox.com/s/yf8203zx4tcv5 ... trate?dl=0

On this substrate they both start from a single cell, and you can immediately see how much more efficient the blue ones are. Their lower buoyocyte reacts much more strongly to food sense, and they produce mirror-image offspring. Nutrient priority also shifted (like it always does), and there's a curiously long adhesin connection to their top buoyocyte (though it's not clear why).

Both buoyocytes react to food sense, but they have a "+/-b" amount to keep the top one less dense. If buoyancy varies too radpidly, the relative values go out of whack and they tilt sideways, but the more they sit still, the more upright they will be.

I think it's interesting how they tend to space themselves out - each one claiming food in a certain area, then idling until more food appears.
drowemos

Re: Belles: Smart floaters

Post by drowemos » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:31 pm

Nice design. Very elegant in the way they move and look. Can't say I care for the evolved version, the way they flip around the substrate. They can change elevation very quickly doing that but it still lacks a certain fineness.