Nitocyte (stinging cells/long range attacking cells)

We like few-celled organisms, not bugs!
Casper-cas9

Nitocyte (stinging cells/long range attacking cells)

Post by Casper-cas9 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:04 pm

Nitocytes are the cells that allow jellyfish to sting i think nitocystes could be used for many things one long range attacking(for ambush predators) 2 grappling (send out a nitocyte and have it pull the cells together like a long range gluocyte) 3 travel(allow it to stick to walls and pull cells around) 4 defence(have them be contact sensitive if a cell rubs up against it have it shoot short spines which input venom like hcn and then release the cell) any of these could be cool 1 and 3 are my favorite but 4 seems the most plausible
Wilcz

Re: Nitocyte (stinging cells/long range attacking cells)

Post by Wilcz » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:06 am

That is a really great idea IMO. I can already think of multiple uses for such cell type, such as injecting genome, poisoning out of reach cells and, mentioned by you, grabbing onto stuff. However, I'm also afraid it would make some other types of cells redundant. The cell you're suggesting should have only 1 such harpoon that can shoot out only in one direction. Maybe only one use too (AFAIK the real thing is one use only).
Petter
Site Admin

Re: Nitocyte (stinging cells/long range attacking cells)

Post by Petter » Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:54 pm

I think it's a pretty cool suggestion. I though think they should be called Cnidocyte (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cnidocyte). I'd then probably make them as similar to the ones described on wikipedia as possible. They would e.g. be one-use only, though they might penetrate even keratinocytes and inject toxin (which is already implemented :)). That way they would be much more complex to use than devorocytes, though they offer advantages since they can attack all cells and are a bit ranged.