It's quiet in the lab...

We like few-celled organisms, not bugs!
dave

It's quiet in the lab...

Post by dave » Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:06 pm

How about some sound?

Plopping, and blubbing, scraping, fizzling, cells?

A sound for:
- division
- devor
- glue
- death
- buoyo's ( bubble bubble )
- flagels
- phago's munching

For performance perhaps no sound in "incubate" mode.

Greets,
Dave
BioCult

Re: It's quiet in the lab...

Post by BioCult » Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:53 am

I would like this, but it would get annoying to have levels like countermeasure to be making a bunch of popping and fizzling noises. The sounds should only affect your cells in my opinion.
lare290

Post by lare290 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:48 am

Sounds good. It should be toggleable though.
Knowledge is not a game.
-one really interesting dream
TangibleLight

Post by TangibleLight » Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:34 pm

lare290 wrote:Sounds good.
Heh.

I think having sounds for each cell "event" might get a little distracting or overwhelming. I'd personally prefer some kind of background noise or music associated with the game.
TygrCZ

Post by TygrCZ » Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:27 pm

Like that, I personally think that this game needs a few noises... But still, it would get crazy with Photocytes and light over whole Petri dish... Yup, needs to be toggleable.
Hello, I am TygrCZ.
Yohoki

Post by Yohoki » Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:07 pm

All I can think of is level 13: infestation and how loud and annoying the sound would get.... maybe some background noise and music would be nice, but nothing related to what's ACTUALLY going on in the substrate. I'm pretty sure you'd lose your mind.
Petter
Site Admin

Post by Petter » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:08 pm

Hey,
Great ideas! I'm though a bit sceptic to having noises for cells splitting and such since it would quickly be overwhelming as you've mentioned. Also, cells on a plate are quite quiet IRL :P. I'm thinking more on the lines of having some background music and perhaps some user interface sounds like when adding cells, completing a level or so..

I'm quite bad at making sounds though, never done it before, so I'll have to find some free sounds or so. Someone has made a song for me to use in the game but I will need two more, one for the menu and one for experiment mode.
BioCult

Post by BioCult » Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:04 pm

The music needs to have the right theme though, maybe some calm, quiet, electronic music? I have some skill in making music, so I can try to make some and send it your way.
Petter
Site Admin

Post by Petter » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:57 pm

Some background music would be nice, though I think any sounds from the actual cells would just be annoying. Perhaps sounds from the user interface would be nice too. Someone was going to make some music for the game but it never finished (this happened twice actually) so I'm thinking it's best to find some free/public domain sounds. Do you guys know any good resources?
Alast

Post by Alast » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:22 pm

Hm, that makes me think. I do have a friend who likes to make electronic music. Well, when he finds the time... But maybe I could ask him to look into Cell Lab and get inspired to something :)

Can you send me a PM and let me know if you have any preferences on how it should or should not sound like? Or are you over having something make something (after it failed 2 times) and just want to get something ready? I will ask my friend about that, too. He sometimes uses public domain soudns for his music. So I guess he knows sources.
Perfection hasnt reached me yet, but its trying hard!