More real-time statistics and graphs please!

We like few-celled organisms, not bugs!
Beerman58

More real-time statistics and graphs please!

Post by Beerman58 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:56 am

Call me a nerd, but anyone else notice how the objective page/tab is basically begging for a side-scrolling line plot of cell total versus time? You could visually track the natural boom and bust population cycles, cringe in agony as the initial "boom" petered out just below the objective, or breath that sigh of relief as your babies narrowly avoid extinction. What excitement it would add!

Such a line plot on the challenge page, which is an obvious improvement over the current jittery integer output, could only be the beginning. I'm thinking an entirely new real-time stats tab, including:
  • + cell type pie chart
    + cell type population vs. time (different color line for each type, matching type color set in genome)
    + growth/death rate versus time (i.e. derivative of population)
    + histogram of cell age/lifespan (could also be color coded by type)
    + others? (please reply with your ideas)
Bottom line: The core gameplay is truly unique and awesome, but the state visualization leaves much to be desired, especially when you consider the truly endless ways to slice the simulation's output in interesting and insightful ways, which would serve to increase both the action/excitement and depth of strategy (as better quantative feedback would help orient and map out the genome changes you are making).

I'd be interested to hear what other such statistical outputs the community thinks would be helpful.
CandyYAHFT

Re: More real-time statistics and graphs please!

Post by CandyYAHFT » Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:56 pm

Cell Lab is described as an educattional game, so better graphics woud take more battery, will make it run slowly, and the satisfaction of watching your genome take over a substrate would most likely be take off because how slow it'll run, even if good graphics would be nice, consider this game doesn't give profit to Petter , so such a big effort, mmmmh, I think would slow down other features he's interested on add
PEACE & LOVE,
CANDY
Raven

Post by Raven » Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:39 am

CandyYAHFT wrote:Cell Lab is described as an educattional game, so better graphics woud take more battery, will make it run slowly, and the satisfaction of watching your genome take over a substrate would most likely be take off because how slow it'll run, even if good graphics would be nice, consider this game doesn't give profit to Petter , so such a big effort, mmmmh, I think would slow down other features he's interested on add
There is a point to the bug report and suggestions... I also would enjoy some good ol' graphs.
(;>
CandyYAHFT

Post by CandyYAHFT » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:25 pm

me too, but I didn't want Petter to think we are the kinda people who give more relevance to graphics quality than other things, such as if is a good game, it has smoth graphics, you know that runs softly, and other things he's going to add are pretty laggy, however I'm thinking on getting a faster device
PEACE & LOVE,
CANDY
Petter
Site Admin

Post by Petter » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:23 am

@candyyaft, I think this is about graphs, not graphics. We all now the cell lab graphics are epic and can't be improved :P

I would really like to add some graphs like this as well but I have just not had time to do it yet. Some new ideas of what to plot I hadn't thought about yet. It will be a bit challenging to come up with a interface making it easy to plot all these stuff. I would further like to be able to plot with e.g. the number of predators on y axis and prey on x axis. I think for this to be useful we need some further way of discriminating between different species, like how many of two different types of swimmers there are. Some genetic marker perhaps or just some automatic system for identifying what cells are similar enough to be considered the same species.

Cheers,
Petter
Alast

Post by Alast » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:06 am

I would simply(?) go for the genomes and count the number of cells with the same genome. Any difference within a genome would be considered a different species. Like there are so many species belonging to the monkey family, all with very similar genomes but not quite the same making them different creatures.
Perfection hasnt reached me yet, but its trying hard!