Cell Suggestions

We like few-celled organisms, not bugs!
Azedenkae

Cell Suggestions

Post by Azedenkae » Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:16 am

Firstly, love this game! Like honestly, can't even express how much I love this game. I am a biologist, so this is like gold to me. I know it's not a replica of how life works (and you guys stated that too), but still, for a person interested in evolution, mutations, natural selection and all that... this is uber cool. I have been looking for this game for YEARS.

*Cough cough*

Excuse my fanboyism.

Moving on to cell suggestions. I think there should be signal-responsive cells, either/including to:
a.) Light
b.) Death
c.) Nutrients
d.) Other cells

I reckon that could all be just one cell type, and different options for that cell if you like. But it'd definitely add another dimension to the game, and allow for organisms that actively seek out sources of energy (or run away from something).

A virocyte variant would be cool, one that copies bits of a different organism's genome into itself, rather than the reverse.

For the flagellocyte, I think there should be an option to modulate its speed (I don't think we can do it at the moment... can we?), and also to choose for the speed to increase (or decrease) with increasing/decreasing cell sizes.

Last but not least, I just think it'd be nice if we can swap the modes for the cells we created. For example, I like to play around with complex organisms that is comprised of a lot of cells. Sometimes, this would mean that I create a whole series of cell (modes), and then ditch them. It's always a bit harder to remember when I suddenly am working with cells 1-4 and 9-11 for example. So say being able to swap cells 5 and 9 for example, in this case, would be desirable. And all other references could change too.

So for example, if I swap 5 and 9, and say mode 2 produces mode 5 and 11, then mode 2 would then just produce mode 9 and 11.

Also, being able to name the modes would be cool too. For example, I have for one of my organisms a 'reproductive cell' that specializes in generating er, eggs. Then there's an 'egg' cell that floats around until it starts dividing into 'baby' cells. And so on and so on. If we can give custom labels to them, it'd be easier for us to track our cells that we created.

That's all I have at the moment.

Amazing game, love it so much! Thanks for creating something so awesome.
TygrCZ

Re: Cell Suggestions

Post by TygrCZ » Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:22 pm

Nice ideas there, that Sensor cell or whatever you call it looks cool. :D
And calling modes would be nice too, as it's a bit hard to know, for example: 1 - Organism egg, 2 - Flagella 1, 3 - Photo-evolver 1... :?
Hello, I am TygrCZ.
Petter
Site Admin

Post by Petter » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 pm

Great suggestions! And glad you love the game!
The flagellocyte speed is actually implemented in the next update :). The speed does currently not depend on the size so having smaller swimmers is more efficient since larger cells consume more energy :). Swapping modes would be very useful, just unsure on how to implement this, the genome editor is already quite packed with buttons. I have some kind of controller cell in mind for the future. ;)

Cheers,
Petter
Azedenkae

Post by Azedenkae » Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:38 am

Glad to be of help. :D

Yeah not entirely sure how the swapping modes could fit in either. Maybe a simple drop down that says 'Swap With?' And then one can select the mode? Not sure how that'd work out though.
Phaseling

Post by Phaseling » Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:53 pm

Speaking of the update, when is it?
From the desk of
Phaseling
nickflik0934

Post by nickflik0934 » Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:03 pm

Very very soon.

Found a couple of bugs ^^ (With a couple i mean 1)
If petter doesn't fix them you will find them very fast. (Not gonna spill the secret)

Kay bye!
Regards
nick :)
Phaseling

Post by Phaseling » Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:41 pm

Okay :3
From the desk of
Phaseling
Petter
Site Admin

Post by Petter » Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:45 pm

newest version 42 is alraedy out to 50% of users, i will increase to 100% next week
Phaseling

Post by Phaseling » Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:21 am

50% of users?
From the desk of
Phaseling
Petter
Site Admin

Post by Petter » Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:23 am

yes :)