Translation to spanish

We like few-celled organisms, not bugs!
DanieleinaD

Translation to spanish

Post by DanieleinaD » Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:52 pm

Please I want to know if you are going to translate the game to spanish, I've been playing this game for months and I love it! But I'd love this game to be in spanish. I can translate it for you if you want.
Thanks for this wonderfull game :D
Petter
Site Admin

Re: Translation to spanish

Post by Petter » Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:06 pm

Loads of people have requested a Spanish translation so that would be hugely appreciated! It's the second largest language in the world, but by far the language with most people requesting Cell Lab translation in reviews.

I've had lots of people offering to translate but so far none has actually finished (I've sent all files and instructions, explanations, reminders, to 6+ people, this takes lots of time and effort, email conversations spanning months :P) which is the reason there still isn't a Spanish translation. Someone is translating right now but he has passed several dates he said he would have sent me the first file by so likely it will not be finished this time either. The thing is that if I send the files to someone to translate, then I can not send it to someone else since then possibly two people could be working on the same translation simultaneously which would be a waste. I also don't want to split the work to multiple people because it is crucial that the translation is coherent. So if one translator picks e.g. a word for Mode, then it is important that that word is used throughout to avoid confusion.

This said I would be happy to hear anyones ideas on how to get a Spanish translation of Cell Lab. I am reluctant to continue sending emails to people offering to translate to Spanish because it takes a lot of time and doesn't seem to work. Since I do not make money off of Cell Lab I also can not pay for a translation, it is quite expensive and the quality often doesn't seem to be so good.

I'll post some links to the files here, but if you or anyone here chooses to translate then please keep in mind that other people might be translating simultaneously so I can not promise your version will actually be in the app. Maybe we can attempt to do the translation like this, any questions are posted in this thread, if anyone finishes a Spanish translation then post it here. The first posted translation will be used in the app and we will put an acknowledgement to that person in the app. If you post your progress here then we can all see how it's going and avoid two translations being done at the same time.

Sorry about my pessimism DanieleinaD :P, I think we have just been very unlucky so far, multiple Spanish translators have had hard drives failing and other things getting in between. If you could finish it it would be great, but I would prefer to have an open translation like this this time, to make sure I don't get stuck in this cycle again :P

I would also like to stress that I am extremely grateful for all the translators, I know it is a lot of hard work and you are doing it as volunteers. Less than half of Cell Lab users are currently English speakers, that's all thanks to you!

Ok, here are the files:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3i0ryzep8x44o ... E.pdf?dl=1
https://www.dropbox.com/s/h0eixfob8g2w3 ... s.xml?dl=1
https://www.dropbox.com/s/k8q0zgwo2gyvz ... s.xml?dl=1
https://www.dropbox.com/s/lcjkpovgz3hjb ... s.xml?dl=1
CandyYAHFT

Post by CandyYAHFT » Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:37 pm

I can translate it, I'm going to start tomorrow, of course if you're okay, I'm going to wait for your answer, I'm halft native spanish, actually right now I'm in a sabatic year in Mexico

edit: ok open, anyway I'm starting tomorrow anyway
PEACE & LOVE,
CANDY
Alast

Post by Alast » Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:29 am

No offense, Candy, but probably a true native speaker should do the translations.
Perfection hasnt reached me yet, but its trying hard!
DanieleinaD

Post by DanieleinaD » Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:51 pm

Wow, thanks for let me help, I will start now, I'm native spanish so I have no language problems. Thanks :D
CandyYAHFT

Post by CandyYAHFT » Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:28 pm

I'll do it anyway :lol: having too much free time, it can be reviewed later
PEACE & LOVE,
CANDY
CandyYAHFT

Post by CandyYAHFT » Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:40 pm

how do I translate the cell types?
they have latin roots, so I was thinking just to put for example phagocito lipocito
since in spanish there are words keeped like "fagocitar" "lipido" so I'll do it that way till you answer
PEACE & LOVE,
CANDY
Petter
Site Admin

Post by Petter » Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:30 pm

I don't know Spanish so it's better someone else answers. But trying to keep the same root sounds good. Actually many of those words are not made up so you can just check the translation, probably checking wikipedia and changing language is easiest since there are often many synonyms for those kinds of words. If many synonyms, choose the one closest to English.

Cheers,
Petter
CandyYAHFT

Post by CandyYAHFT » Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:20 am

I searched for a more spanish, or at least latinized word for "buoyo" but since is a brand, I'm gonna just keeped that way
PEACE & LOVE,
CANDY
Petter
Site Admin

Post by Petter » Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:17 am

It's from the word buoyancy (or buoy). Maybe Flotacito? Flotocito?