Support for Petter?

We like few-celled organisms, not bugs!
Agar cell

Support for Petter?

Post by Agar cell » Thu May 05, 2016 5:53 pm

Maybe were we can have a button that let's us watch a short ad to support the dev
Don't count your cells before they've split!!!
Alast

Re: Support for Petter?

Post by Alast » Thu May 05, 2016 7:30 pm

I'd rather pay for Cell Lab. But so far Petter didn't want any money out of this.
Perfection hasnt reached me yet, but its trying hard!
Kanohuf

Post by Kanohuf » Mon May 16, 2016 8:51 pm

He's such a good person :D But yeah. I would definetly watch some ads if it could help with supporting the game. But I know that not everyone has time for that. Unfortunately i can't buy anything via Google Play and anything like that :/
0 θ 8 This is how it begins...
peorthyr

Post by peorthyr » Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:25 am

I guess that direct monetization of the game could be a little hard, in terms of future efforts (paying users, also if they pay only with ads are less tolerant than free ones), but maybe a donation button (or some banners on the forum), could generate a little revenue and less problems.
that said, I could definitely pay some cash for the game, it is really brilliant.
bwisialo

Post by bwisialo » Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:34 am

I would glady donate :)
amor fati
Alast

Post by Alast » Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:12 am

Same here. But Petter might argue in our cases that we already are donating, content ;)
Perfection hasnt reached me yet, but its trying hard!
Petter
Site Admin

Post by Petter » Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:57 pm

Hi All,
Thanks for your support :). I don't know of a good way to monetize the game, I deeply dislike ads and I think if the game wasn't free then a lot of people couldn't get it. I for example have not yet bothered to enter my credit card info in Play Store. So then lots of people would miss out on the game even-though I do not make any money out of those people in particular. So basically the end result would be that a lot less people get the game, some people lose money, I get money. In total the amount of money is constant but the amount of people enjoying the game is less. So the total effect would just be negative.

A donate button could be an option, maybe I'll add this in the future. I though think it's not allowed according to Google's terms of service, basically they need 30% of everything. So then I would have to make a donate button using Google's In-App payments. This is kind of a deterrent though, at least I avoid apps that have in app-purchases, being afraid the app is limited in some way. Maybe that's just me though?

I am considering adding some features in the future that require a back-end running. To let users e.g. upload substrates or to have some sort of collaborative evolution. In that case I would have to pay for the back-end so then I would necessarily have to put a price on Cell Lab (or maybe different version of the game) or use in app-purchases. Then I might put this price a bit higher to get some money out of the margin :P

Anyways, for now I'm a student so I get a salary from the government so no need to worry :)

Cheers,
Petter

PS, Alast is right, your contributions are worth tremendously much more than any price I could put on Cell Lab.
peorthyr

Post by peorthyr » Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:22 am

Hi Petter, maybe you should override the limitations of google by putting a donate button on the site, I bet only the 2% of users never come here to discover some advice ;)

Post by 5163 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:44 pm

peorthyr wrote:Hi Petter, maybe you should override the limitations of google by putting a donate button on the site, I bet only the 2% of users never come here to discover some advice ;)
I agree, but how will people find out about the site if they don't go to the about section or find video tutorials?
Help! The cells are eating me!
Sakaaaaa

Post by Sakaaaaa » Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:17 pm

Maybe when they spend more than 30 minutes on a challenge there can be a notification "Do you need some help? What about going to the forum here?"
"Only two things are infinite: the universe and photocytes on a sunlit substrate. I'm actually not sure about the universe!"
-Avert Eyntsein