Simpler genome editor

We like few-celled organisms, not bugs!
BioCult

Simpler genome editor

Post by BioCult » Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:17 pm

This is my favorite game ever. But my friends can't seem to get into it! They take one look at the game and get scared away by how many customization options there are. Maybe by splitting up the customization options into pages that could be swiped to and fro (like the main menu). You could have pages such as: basic customization, splitting, angles, colors, advanced customization.
Yohoki

Re: Simpler genome editor

Post by Yohoki » Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:24 pm

I also think it would be nice to have a plus or minus button to detect modes, or a swipe function. Scroll down, change setting, scroll up, hit mode button, scroll to correct mode, click, scroll back down, edit settings. That's a lot of steps that could be made easier by simply swiping left or right. And, as of this moment, I don't think swiping left or right actually does anything.

Maybe a simpler solution would be to have the "active mode" be locked at the bottom of the screen, not moving when we scroll through the settings. Maybe I'll edit a screenshot later to give a good example.

Edited:
Here is a rough drawing of how I think it would look if you changed the genome display to having modes select at the bottom. I cannot think of an easy way to implement a swiping method that doesn't interfere with the sliders. Probably best to not do that. But the buttons make it easy to switch back and forth and the mode select being at the bottom should allow all of the modes to be visible, instead of having to scroll through the list to get to the extreme top or bottom few modes.

Edit 2:
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r94/ ... -25-24.png
BioCult

Post by BioCult » Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:48 am

That makes it easier, but I was hoping for something that wouldn't scare new players away. If all the customization options were put on different pages on the genome editor, then players wouldn't get so overwhelmed.
Yohoki

Post by Yohoki » Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:27 pm

There's really not a LOT of options. And putting tabs takes away viewing space, leaving only a small gap for seeing the various options. I think it would seem more complex and confusing if a person had to switch tabs and scroll through a tiny viewing frame, than to just scroll through the bigger list. They are already separated and sorted by most important to least important options. I wouldn't recommend tabs.
TygrCZ

Post by TygrCZ » Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:13 pm

We need some sort of settings for these things.
Hello, I am TygrCZ.
nickflik0934

Post by nickflik0934 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:55 pm

Yes, more modes and less confussion is way better. I know 15 are allot of modes, but for real complex creatures it is pretty anoying.
Yohoki

Post by Yohoki » Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:36 am

For real complex creatures, it's probably best to use several genomes, instead of one huge one with 30+ modes. Adding too many modes will start eating away memory like crazy.
nickflik0934

Post by nickflik0934 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:00 am

He could make the lag less if he added some sort of graphics. And with that the memory its using will go down allot on fastest settings.
Low res [ on/off ] = each cell 32pix
Medium res [ on/off ] = each cell 128 pix (when zooming in)
High res [ on/off ] = each cell 512 pix (when zooming in)

Show death animation [ on/off ]
Show flagellocyte animation [ on/off ]
Show cell connection [ on/off ]

Some sort of fog maybe so you can see less cells on the plate just the ones your focusing on?
Show fog for less view [ on/off ]
Fog size 1 - 10

Oh and by the way...
What are you using the other memory for, just youtube and internet maybe. Just close any app off and it will eat less memory, (like a devourocyte :D )
Yohoki

Post by Yohoki » Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:20 pm

I'm not the programmer, but he's probably using something similar to what you explained, a simple list that defines all the settings of each mode, along with the location, size, NO3 levels, etc. But, every single cell on screen probably has it's own list. So, for 15 modes, at 800 cells, that's actually 12,000 modes. Adding more options or modes has to be carefully thought about, because it can make a big difference.

Because individual cells can be infected with viruses or changed slightly with radiation, each cell has to have it's own list. If it were a single list that controlled several cells at once, radiation and infection would not be possible. Or, at least in my opinion, not easy to program.

Now, he mentioned memory optimization hasn't been done, so I'm wondering if the modes and lists actually say things like "mode=1" and "child1=5" instead of simply values in a line, like "1,4,15,3,8" etc. I've seen both methods used even in large scale games with big budgets, but it's much easier to use the first, at the cost of bigger file sizes.

Again, I'm not a programmer for this game, so I don't know at all what style he's using... But this is what I suspect he is, and why.
nickflik0934

Post by nickflik0934 » Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:14 pm

That is not quitte what i mean...
I meant that there should be options to turn that on or off

And if() he would code, it would properly look like this

local Flagellocyte.animation = 0
if (TRIGGER) = true
{ Flagellocyte.animation = Flagellocyte.animation+1 }
else
{ Flagellocyte.animation = Flagellocyte.animation-1 }