Suggestion: contamine with random cells

We like few-celled organisms, not bugs!
ElNico5

Suggestion: contamine with random cells

Post by ElNico5 » Thu May 19, 2016 11:40 pm

I think the "contamine with random cells" option should be more customizable I dont mean you click and predators appear from nothing but something is missing

-from somewhere on this substrate ElNico5
Last edited by ElNico5 on Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Writing from a small house in Agmalarkiia
chargrill

Re: Suggestion: contamine with random cells

Post by chargrill » Fri May 20, 2016 1:54 pm

like on the game swimbot where you could contaminate with random froggers (two legged swimmers)?
You wouldn't worry so much about what people thought of you if you realised how seldom they did.
bwisialo

Post by bwisialo » Fri May 20, 2016 6:22 pm

I don't think the Contaminate option is designed to yield working genomes per se. It would take a lot more than customization options to get it to do something it's not designed to do. ;) You can use Contaminate this way to a certain extent, but I wouldn't say anything is "missing."

You can use Contaminate for evolutionary purposes. For example, if your evolving a Phagocyte-Keratinocyte-Flagellocyte swimmer, you can Contaminate with Devorocytes because Devorocytes will presumably be in the environments in which you'd use it. If you don't use "Only point mutations," you have to Contaminate in this scenario -- otherwise, the swimmer will get rid of its Keratinocyte. And "Only point mutations" wasn't available in the version prior to the present one.
amor fati
chargrill

Post by chargrill » Fri May 20, 2016 8:10 pm

contaminate with devorocytes is a good idea, or contaminate with genome, for say trying to solve challenges where there's a native organism to compete with.
You wouldn't worry so much about what people thought of you if you realised how seldom they did.
bwisialo

Post by bwisialo » Fri May 20, 2016 8:30 pm

Right. You can make it contaminate only with Devorocytes for you, but if you want to contaminate with the Initial cell of a specific genome, you have to do that manually. Having an automated way to contaminate with a specific genome could be very useful, but yeah, you'd need options / settings for how many and how often.
amor fati